This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

At least once a day someone tells me they love my makeup! I then am asked if I do it myself and the conversation is usually followed by “I wish I could do makeup.” I have had years of practice, not only because I love makeup but also through working for Estée Lauder and Clinique. Through these experiences, I’ve picked up some easy steps to follow that make an everyday glam look achievable for everybody. 

Primer

Primer is the start of any great painting, so consider yourself art and get priming! I start with a light moisturizer (living in the desert this is a must) and then follow with a hydrating primer such as Too Faced Hangover or Becca First Light Primer. Both are amazing if you have dry combination skin like me. If you have oily skin, look for a primer that will help keep you matte. Another great primer for all skin types is the classic Smashbox Photo Finish Primer.

Foundation & Concealer 

The key to any everyday look is a foundation that matches your skin color. Stores like Sephora, Ulta, Macy’s and any department store offer free in-store foundation matching and they often come with a complimentary sample so you can make sure it is the perfect shade. My long-time go-to foundation has been Estée Lauder’s Double Wear foundation; I always come back to it. For foundation, I love to apply it with a dampened beauty blender or flat top brush. I then follow with concealer and the same beauty blender (Shape Tape is my holy grail) in any area I might need more coverage, such as under my eyes (#teamnosleep). 

Powder, Bronzer, & Blush 

These steps don’t seem like they go together, but for me they do. After applying concealer I set, or bake, it with a loose setting powder. I use Coty Airspun Powder in the neutral shade, not only because it’s super affordable, but it also doesn’t create any flashback when taking pictures! Since foundation creates a blank canvas, bronzer and blush are the best ways to make you look alive again. I apply bronzer below my cheekbones and then along my forehead and lastly, I contour my nose. I only apply blush to the apples of my cheeks, but placement might change depending on your own face shape. 

Eyes 

My everyday eye look is the simplest part of my routine. Using a fluffy blender brush (I like the Morphe JH30 brush) I blend a neutral brown or orange shade into my lids. You can also just use your bronzer, which is something I often do. This creates dimension around the eye without being too much. Next, I fill in my brows using a brow pomade and clear gel to set it. Last for my eye look is eyeliner and mascara. I personally love liquid liner but I didn’t always. This look is still amazing without liner if you find it difficult. 

Finally, to prepare for a long day, I set my entire look with setting spray and finish with highlighter on the high points of my face. My favorite sprays are Urban Decay All-Nighter or Morphe Continuous Setting Mist. My ride or die highlighter is the Anastasia Amrezy Highlighter. This is my easy go-to look for every day. When I want to be more dramatic for a night out or an event I just add more to my eyes and a bold lip color. Don’t be disheartened if it doesn’t come out perfect the first time, keep trying! Youtube and Instagram will be your best friends in learning makeup.

Neisha is a senior at the University of Utah majoring in Strategic Communications. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she loves traveling (mostly to Disneyland), painting, photography, and all things makeup and beauty. You can find her on Instagram @neishamariah
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor