Style

Short Girl Problems: Fall/Winter Fashion Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

With winter quickly approaching, shorts are fading out, and sweater season is in full swing. Most people can’t wait to layer up and get into the fall fashion trends; short girls, on the other hand, have a harder time adapting to the winter clothing scene. 

A few weeks ago I found myself crouched low on the ground with a dull pair of kitchen scissors cutting the $80 pair of jeans I had just bought earlier that day. At 5’0” tall, most pants are way too long, and bunching jeans is not flattering. After talking with a few fellow petite women, I found that they also were down on the ground cutting their pants. I began searching online for the best brands that offer petite clothing. For the most part things are pretty petite-friendly, but I found petite options to be almost non-existent for some brands. In light of this tragic event, I decided to put together a list of my top items in my fall/winter wardrobe to share with my fellow #shortgirlgang to look into buying for this fall/winter season. 

Flying Monkey Wide Leg Denim

Wide legs can seem intimidating for short girls, but these Flying Monkey Palisades are the perfect length. The fabric is also super stretchy, so comfort is an added bonus here!

ASOS Cropped Boyfriend Cardigan

When shopping for sweaters as a shorter woman, sleeve and torso length is everything. Cutting off the waist with a longer sweater can take away from the length that your body does have so having a crop is perfect! ASOS is an awesome brand for shorter women, and they even have their own petite line. 

TOPSHOP at Nordstrom Rack Blush Jacket

For a slimming effect I usually stick to all black, but this cropped jacket is the perfect pop of color for fall. Additionally, the cropped silhouette of the jacket makes it the perfect length for shorter torsos.

Zara Platform Derby Shoes

Ok, so shoes for petite women aren’t that big of a challenge… In fact, I think this is where shorter women have an advantage! You can wear the highest of heels and probably still be the shortest person in the room: SHORT GIRL NONPROBLEM! Woohoo… So I have shared my beloved platform shoes. I love wearing platform sneakers because you can get that height without the noise of heels and the appearance of being “dressy.” 

Those are a few short girl friendly clothing pieces for this fall/winter season to hopefully help you not cut your clothing. Remember, your body doesn’t decide what you put on it — you do! So wear what you want and own it! Next week I’ll be sharing five struggles that only short girls will relate to, so look out for that as well as other #shortgirlproblems coming soon!

Image Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

Go-getter
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor