This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Feeling trapped in city but don’t want to drop a ton of cash for a getaway? Lucky you, Salt Lake City might just be the perfect “staycation” destination. 

If You’re Hungry 

What’s better than starting out a vacation by treating yourself to an amazing brunch? Head to restaurants like Sweet Lake Biscuits and Limeade (54 W 1700 S, Salt Lake City, Utah), Pig & A Jelly Jar (401 E 900 S), or Hub and Spoke Diner (1291 1111 E) for the brunch of your dreams. 

If You Want to Feel a Little Boujee  

And you have a little extra cash to spend, book a night or two at some of the hotels at downtown Salt Lake, central to all the excitement, such as The Little America, Hotel Monaco, or The Grand America. Take advantage of the room service, spas, and pools to truly relax not-so-far away from home.  

If You Just Want to Get Out of the House

Spend some time wandering Red Butte Garden’s breathtaking landscape to admire the true beauty of Utah. Red Butte also offers an array of classes and workshops for adults, such as yoga or gardening, and is also home to the Red Butte Garden Outdoor Concert Series, outdoor film screenings, and art exhibitions. 

A quick two-hour drive to Bear Lake offers all the classic summer activities: boating, tubing, wakeboarding. You can even get friends together to rent a cabin or spend a few nights camping. 

Thankfully, Salt Lake City locals have all the hikes one could ever want at our fingertips. Bring snacks, a camera, and good friends to make it a day to remember. Timpanogos Cave National Monument, Donut Falls, Twin Lakes, or City Creek are popular choices. 

Utah is home to Lagoon amusement park, and okay, so it’s not Disneyland, but people literally travel across the country to visit Lagoon and ride the insane attractions. And not to mention they added a biergarten this year. You can purchase a daily Lagoon ticket for $39.95-55.95 or an Annual Pass for $100. 

If You Want to Learn a Little

If you grew up going to school in Utah, you probably got dragged to one of these museums at one point and thought it was extremely boring (but you were thankful to get out of class). The Natural History Museum, Utah Museum of Fine Arts, or the Clark Planetarium have developed into places worth visiting over the years, and the best part is most offer discounts (if not free admission) to students! 

The Salt Lake City Library downtown is not only beautiful, but its offerings are impressive. You can pick up a few books, people watch, or just wander aimlessly throughout. 

If You Want to Spend Time in Park City

Sundance Film Festival is one of the biggest film festivals in the world and a staple in Utah’s culture. Staying in Park City during Sundance can feel like you’re in a different city all together with all the chaos; you can try to catch some movies, search for your favorite celebrities, or just soak it all in. The 2020 Sundance Film Festival will take place January 23rd to February 2nd. 

Snowbird brings the worldwide celebration of Oktoberfest to Park City every year in August and October. It is one of the biggest Utah festivals and was voted one of the top Oktoberfest festivals in the country. Oktoberfest has quickly become a Utah tradition with activities, food, thousands of people, and, of course, beer. Not to mention, admission is free. 

Salt Lake City, and Utah as a whole, has a lot to offer- sometimes locals don’t even take advantage of all the amazing things going on in our city. And hey, you can’t ever go wrong with $5 moive Tuesdays!

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4

Erin is a senior at University of Utah currently pursuing strategic communications major with writing and rhethoric minor. She's passionate about all things creative, and hopes one day to work in the film industry. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor