Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Rom Com’s to Watch When You’re Inevitably Alone On V-Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

A select few of us are lucky to have found someone to spend Valentine’s Day with. If this is you, then don’t worry about reading this article because you have fun dinner plans with your boo to plan for. Or you can stay and read anyway to get some movie ideas for later. For the rest of us, Valentine’s Day is a day in which many of us can dread. It is hard to not feel jealous of all the people who have found love while you are stuck with no plans. If you are like me, and have no plans for Valentine’s Day and it is very unlikely that you will have plans, then here are some great movies to watch so you can feel even sadder about being alone. 

The Proposal

This hilarious and adorable movie features the lovely Sandra Bullock playing the unemotional boss Margaret Tate and Ryan Reynolds as Andrew Paxton, her assistant. When Tate is threatened with deportation back to Canada, she tells everyone she is engaged to her assistant Andrew and shenanigans ensue. This movie is hilarious and has Betty White playing the grandma in it, so what more do you need? This movie is guaranteed to make you wish you had your own humongous house with Ryan Reynolds in Alaska. 

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

Although the plot of this movie is very unlikely to ever happen in real life, it sure is enjoyable. This movie won’t take the pain away from not having your very own Matthew McConaughey, but it’s funny.This movie is about two people (Kate Hudson and Matthew) making bets/articles about how to make a woman fall in love with them, as well as how to lose a guy in ten days. And hey, maybe you’ll watch this and decide that you don’t want a significant other because it is filled with games and deceit! 

Sleepless in Seattle

Okay okay so it’s not exactly a “rom-com” but I had to put it in here. This is one of my favorite movies of all time and it’s a must every Valentine’s Day. This movie is about a father from Chicago (Tom Hanks) whose wife died and his appearance on a radio show that sparks the interest of Annie (Meg Ryan). Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks movies are must sees and this one is at the very top of the list. You will cry, but you’ll probably be crying anyways cuz you got no boo on V-Day.

Bridget Jones’s Diary

Ah, nothing like the classic love-triangle story. In my personal opinion, neither of these men should have been chosen, but it is a fun movie nonetheless. I have a weird thing against Hugh Grant because his face bothers me, but I got enjoyed this movie anyway. This story is about a girl named Bridget Jones played by Renée Zellweger and her struggle between liking her boss Daniel (Hugh Grant) and the odd Mark Darcy (Colin Firth). If anything, this movie will make you feel better about being single instead of being in her position, having to choose between two guys she likes.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

As an Iranian, this movie hit extremely close to home, so naturally, I love it. This movie is about a Greek woman from a huge traditional Greek family, falling in love with an American. It is truly hilarious and super cute. It’ll make you wish you had a man like Ian who would love you no matter how crazy you and your family is. This is the kind of movie that never gets old.

You’ve Got Mail

See what I’m saying about Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan? Dynamic duo those two. This movie is super obsolete in today’s society but it’s amazing. It’s about two different people, Kathleen Kelly and Joe Fox and their competition in the form of book stores. It sounds confusing but it makes sense and it has a great ending. 

Valentine’s Day

Okay I had to put this one in here. This is one of those movies that have like a ton of different stories that all come together somehow, like in Love Actually. If you want to feel the ultimate sadness about being alone on Valentine’s Day, then watch this movie to make it even worse.

In the end, no one needs to have a significant other to enjoy Valentine’s Day, or any holiday for that matter. If you love yourself that is all you need. However, it is hard to not get a little bit jealous once this time of year goes by. If you spend the whole day binge-watching these rom-coms, then maybe this V-Day won’t be so bad.

HI there! My name is Ailee and I am a political science and sociology double major at the University of U! I want to get into law school and I love to write!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor