Ritt Momney “Her and All of My Friends” Album Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Ritt Momney, which “started out as a vie for attention from an ex” (see track, “Pollution/Disclaimer”), is the solo project of an SLC native, Jack Rutter. Ritt Momney first began releasing music in 2017, and their debut album, “Her and All of My Friends”, was released on July 19, 2019. 

As an artist, Ritt Momney (along with his band) creates music that blends the genres of bedroom pop and indie rock. Ritt Momney’s music centers on themes of heartbreak, emotional turmoil, loneliness, and leaving Mormon culture. Through powerful lyrics, gentle instrumentals, and unique keyboard melodies, Ritt Momney’s music creates an environment and evokes the emotions of reconciliation, coping with change, and searching for a place of belonging. 

After a successful year of playing shows at various small venues in Salt Lake and Provo, Ritt Momney has recently decided to leave Utah to tour around the United States. Tour dates are available on their website, but they will be primarily playing shows across the western US. Over this past year, I have seen Ritt Momney perfrom a few times, and their performances perfectly strike the balance of a simultaneously energetic concert and a laid-back and intimate show.

To unify the album, there are shorter and more instrumental tracks that reiterate certain melodies present in their songs. These instrumental tracks mark the beginning, middle, and end of the album (and are appropriately named “I,” “II,” and “III”). In addition to the reinforced melodies, these tracks also serve to create a cohesive album that smoothly glides from one song to another. 

From this album, here are some of my favorite lyrics:

• “Hell is frozen over / Heaven burned down to the ground / and you have only got one life / so do with it what you would like / we solemnly apologize but we won’t be there when you die” – (If) The Book Doesn’t Sell
  • “I am a flower that’s never seen the sun / I guess that I’m too young / but the soil, it weighs a ton” – Phoebe
  • “I’d still have a brain that’s not depression-prone / it’s weighed me down since you turned it to stone” – Lew’s Lullaby  

My favorite songs off the album are:

• “On Love (An Alternative Response to Almitra’s Request)”
  • “Wormwood”
  • “Paper News”  

Overall, “Her and All of My Friends” is an airy, captivating, insightful, and smooth album. 

If you’re looking for artists similar to Ritt Momney, I’d recommend listening to Charlie Burg, Briston Maroney, Hot Flash Heat Wave, and Vista Kicks. 

To rate this album, I would give it 4.5/5 stars. 

Images: 1

Senior at the University of Utah studying English, Spanish, and Philosophy Passionate about art, grammar, and ethics
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor