This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

This year has tested everyone in many respects, due to the reach of Covid-19. One significant impact that most have probably experienced is how personal relationships have been altered. It’s clear that the existential stress induced by the pandemic among other things, has ignited interrelationship distress on smaller to larger scales. Conflict among couples and even escalation towards desired divorces has increased by a notable margin. Coronavirus cases are increasing rapidly in the U.S. indicating that collectively, we aren’t out of the woods yet. Whether issues, or conflict are occurring in your romantic, roommate or related relationships, it may be wise to consider some intervention and resolution measures. 

Reinvent Mutual Boundaries and Rules

In any relationship, it is imperative to have set boundaries and expectations. It’s possible that during these times the lines of certain boundaries may have gotten blurred as we’ve had to adapt to adjusted ways of living, (i.e. working remotely, attending school online, etc.) Consider evaluating the overall place that you’re at in individual relationships and attempt to determine if anything is lacking and if any change or improvement is necessary. Having open communication is extremely healthy within relationships as well as aiming to feel comfortable in expressing feelings and needs. Strive to have compassion for partners, family members, friends, and others. In reinventing agreed-upon relationship boundaries try to be upfront and clear. Especially now, it’s ideal to give people the benefit of the doubt, to forgive, and to make compromises.

Emphasize the Little Moments and Times for Connection

Through difficult times, holding onto the small things, tangible or not, can truly make a difference. Though opportunities for activities are more limited now, getting creative and coming up with new activities to change things up can make life more interesting. Make it a goal to focus and tend to individual relationships and try to connect on some level each day. With the general stress of today’s world, sometimes we may unknowingly neglect those we’re closest to. Making spending time together a priority can reinvigorate our relational connections.

Seek Out an Impartial Third-Party

This is mostly applicable to those involved in romantic relationships, or marriages, but can apply to household and roommate situations too. In some circumstances, relationship obstacles cannot be solved easily among the partners involved. Ponder the idea of meeting with a counselor or therapist through a telehealth appointment for example. In friendships, getting outside feedback can provide different perspectives and may be helpful when conflict arises.

Prioritize “Me” Time

Even though a lot of people may have no other choice but to spend the majority of their time with close and significant others under the same roof, it’s vital to allot time for oneself. Contemplate developing a plan within your household of how to designate space and time so everyone can capitalize on having alone time. This individual time can look a lot different for people but focusing on personal desires and goals can contribute to a sense of independence within a relationship.

Be More Honest and Forthcoming

It’s not typically ideal to withhold thoughts and feelings in personal relationships, so rather, aspiring for honesty and transparency is best. With the weight of current times resting on most people’s shoulders, relational problems are just another major added stressor. In terms of general health, it is deleterious to reject being forthcoming and to hold grudges against close others. This year has amplified old issues, sparked the occurrence of new ones, and could have revealed or prompted new sides and facets of personal connections. We’re all grappling with the scope of varying impacts and navigating regular life and obligations concurrently. 

Meaningful, significant, and familial relationships should be prioritized. These relationships are critical for a balanced life filled with contentment.

Major: Psychology / Minor: Human Development & Family Studies Aspiring therapist and eventual clinical psychologist Quick facts: I'm originally from Colorado and am a fitness enthusiast, ecofeminist, I love the arts and enjoy cooking.