Redfest From A Transfer Student Perspective

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Almost a year ago I remember sitting in my dorm room in Portland, so jealous of all my friends from high school that were now at the University of Utah at Redfest.  The U seemed to have it all, from mountains to music. 

The pictures looked incredible and I still can’t believe the University of Utah hosts a free event for students to have fun and get to know one another all while listening to some up and coming names in music. 

Why Utah students are so excited for Redfest can be broken down into three words: music, people and scenery.  Local bands are always so unique to go and see because they really care about you having a good time.  They want to impress you so that when you leave you go and tell all your friends about the new hottest band.  

The people is a pretty obvious one, I mean, have you ever hung out with your fellow Utes and not had a good time or at least a good story to tell?  

Finally, the scenery!  We are so lucky that mountains surround University of Utah and this concert is always so beautiful.  The leaves are just starting to change and it’s bound to be gorgeous! We know that it’s been raining this week but Friday night is showing clear skies and even if it does rain, getting drenched at a concert is just part of your 4-year college bucket list!

While the talk is that this year it’ll be different because it isn’t a mainstream headliner like B.O.B but come on?  Let’s give the local bands a chance!  Who knows?  Maybe in a couple years they will be the next big thing and we can say how cool our school was for spotting them in their infancy.  Plus, Redfest isn’t just a place to go listen to music, it is also a wonderful opportunity to go meet new students, hang out with your friends and have something to do on a Friday night, cause let’s be honest, sometimes all you can think of is Netflix and the Pie.  Did I mention it’s free??? What more do we need! Make sure that this Friday night you come to Redfest and show your campus and the local bands some University of Utah love.

Hi! I'm Madison Keyser and am a student at the University of Utah.  I am a sophomore double majoring in Economics and Spanish hoping to go to Law School someday.  I am an Alpha Chi Omega, love to play lacrosse and do anything outside.  I am so excited to be a Her Campus writer! 
Julianne serves in the role of Community Development Associate, directly working with chapters and expansion. She graduated from the University of Utah in 2018 with a triple major in Political Science, Film & Media Art, and Communications with minors in Health and Theater. Julianne served as a Campus Correspondent for Utah for 3 years, as a Chapter Advisor for 2 years, a Campus Expansion Assistant for 2 years, and as a High School Ambassador Advisor. New to Boston, Julianne can't wait to eat as much seafood as was deprived of her after living in the mountains for most of her life. In her spare time, she loves to ski, watch an unreasonable amount of movies, and write!