Quick Reminder: Girls Don’t Actually Hate Each Other

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.
Girls are mean. Girls are meaner than boys. Girls are more intimidating and scary. Right? Wrong! One of my biggest pet peeves is the common misconception that girls are meaner and scarier to each other than any other gender. Here are some things to think about the next time you – OMG, Becky, look at her butt! It is SO big! – a fellow woman.

Who holds your hair when you’re throwing up in the bathroom at a frat party? Aww, sometimes it’s SO sweet when Donny takes care of you; but you’re so much happier the next morning to find out Angela was the one telling you how great you are and how OK it is that you wigged out after just three shots.

How much do you wanna bet that the girl who sits next to you on your first day of class would be totally cool about giving you a tampon? You don’t even know her, yet she understands.

Girls are always building each other up. “Cute skirt! Where’d you get it?” “Your hair is gorgeous.” “WOW! Your eyelashes are so long!”

When you need guy advice, your homegirls will listen for literal hours and give you real, blunt and honest opinions. We do this all because we don’t want to see our friends get hurt.

…and when you go against their advice anyway, and let Donny walk all over you, (IDK why I picked a name from the fifties, but I’m going to just go with it) they will be the first to yell about what a tool he is.

“You can do it!” “I believe in you!” “Oh, I’m sure you got an A!” You probably heard these comments in a girl’s voice, because we are super encouraging.

Feminine people are just naturally understanding people. Compassion and sensitivity come easily to us. We like to care for others and are overall hardcore people pleasers. Yeah, we are all unique and different and fabulous etc. etc. But overall, we are there for each other whether we know each other well or not.

So, let’s get over notion the media pushes – that girls are menaces to each other. We live in a world that’s already more unsafe for women and attacks our self-worth on a daily basis. Feminism means being there for each other, and lifting each other up despite stereotypes.

Don't make this ginger snap... just kidding. I'm usually pretty nice. I am a happy-go-lucky, Avril Lavigne lovin' and poodle obsessed San Diego girl. I think I'v been handling the cold weather pretty well! Communication is my degree of choice, although maybe someday I'll be a world reknown astrologer... One last thing: I'm pretty sarcastic. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor