Style

A Quick Look at Coachella Fashion: Weekend 1, 2019

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Unless you’re living under a rock, you know that the season of flower crowns and flowy skirts is upon us: it’s festival szn, baby! This is the time of year where Instagram is flooded with golden hour pictures, poolside pictures, in-the-middle-of-a-Tyler-the-Creator-mosh-pit pictures, you name it. But don’t be fooled; these aren’t just casual, spur of the moment, one-shot pictures. Months and months of planning have been dedicated, countless outfit pictures haved been sent back and forth to friends, numerous shopping trips have been made, and thousands of Pinterest boards have been created. Coachella outfits are really, truly an art. The trends shift every year, from flower crowns to swim suits under sheer dresses to cargo pants. I follow a ton of celebrities and influencers on Instagram, so I can honestly say that I think I’ve seen it all.  I know we’ve only made it through the first weekend, but I thought I’d sit down and sift through the best outfits that have shown up on my feed so far. 

Before we jump into the outfits, let’s talk trends. I think that this year’s biggest trend can be chalked up to two words: western wear. If I had a dollar for every pair of cowboy boots, or every cowboy hat, or every thick-buckled belt that I saw in a picture this weekend, I’d be able to jet out to Cali tomorrow for the second weekend of Coachella, probably with VIP passes. I definitely saw this one coming, because western wear has been on the rise for the past few months, so I guess this weekend was just the pinnacle of that. 

The other big trend that I saw was athleisure-inspired outfits. Balenciaga sent the world into a chunky dad sneaker craze, so you bet your bottom dollar that at least a third of the festival-goers were clomping around in those mini-boats all weekend with their Dua Lipa sunglasses halfway down their nose. And to be honest, they were probably the most comfortable out of everyone there. 

Okay, let’s dive in, but first, a little disclaimer: I considered making this article a best/worst outfits article, but then I realized that it’s impossible to pick a “worst” outfit of Coachella because everything is SO out there that there’s just no correct manner of comparison. Plus, what’s the point of knocking someone down if they’re really feeling themself?? I say, let them bust down in whatever the hell they want! With that said, let’s begin.

Kendall Jenner popped OFF in this Revolve dress, paired with matching gloves and shoes. If this is what gloves making a comeback looks like, I am all very here for it. 

The Queen of Coachella, Vanessa Hudgens, has descended from her throne to deliver us yet another year of show-stopping outfits. This year, she put her own twist on the western wear trend with a straw floppy hat and a western-style belt.

The internet will probably never forget this iconic meeting. Justin Bieber rocks a more casual look while being very health conscious (!!), while Billie Eilish steals the show in a full Louis Vuitton suit. Go off, Billie, go off. 

What did I tell you!! Chunky dad sneakers!!! Model Winnie Harlow rocks the trend with a neon (also v trendy this year) crop top and skirt combo. Her feet probably feel great. 

These next few outfits are things I screenshotted from my own Instagram feed because they were just too good not to share.

Danielle Bernstein (@weworewhat) implemented the western trend seamlessly, but didn’t shy away from incorporating a myriad of prints into her outfit.

Another seamless execution of western wear by influencer Taylor King (@tksjuicypolls). ​I NEED to know where she got those boots. Also, the fringe is amazing.

I think that Danielle Carolan (@daniellecarolan) really hit the nail on the head with this outfit. The frilly dress paired with the white cowboy boots is on trend, but also incorporates her personal style and personality. This outfit is definitely up my alley style-wise. Might steal tbh. 

Ah, the return of the chunky dad sneaker! Maggie MacDonald (@maggiemacdonald) demonstrates the true power of athleisure. I guarantee you she was super comfortable all day. The matching Balenciaga neon socks and bag really are the perfect touch here.

Last but not least, a personal style icon of mine, Lauren Elizabeth (@laurenelizabeth).​ Surprisingly, she actually steered clear of some of the more blatant trends this year and went her own direction. The sweetheart neckline and puffy sleeves are definitely big right now, but she made it her own in the way she styled her outfit. Also surprising, not a cowboy boot in sight for this girl (although she did post a story in a bandana, so I guess that counts as western wear)! She opted for Dr. Martens with this look, and they work perfectly.

Lucky for us, Coachella ain’t over yet! We still have a whole second weekend to analyze. Here’s some questions I have off the top of my head: will the cowboy boots still be a thing? Will Vanessa Hudgens return for a 2019 victory lap? Will my Instagram feed be just as enticing as it was this past weekend? Stay tuned, folks!

Photo Source: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Ellie is a junior at the University of Utah double majoring in Ballet and Strategic Communications. In addition to Her Campus, she is also a member of It's On Us. She loves to travel, is a big fan of all things fashion, and has an unhealthy obsession with cute coffee shops. You can find her (and her blog) on Instagram @ellie.bresler
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor