This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Over the last several days, we’ve been anxiously sharing articles on Facebook and reconnecting with some people who were just as terrified as we were when the results were announced. We understand the reality that nothing is going to change and in a few short months, Donald Trump will be the 45th President of the United States of America, a reality that is still sinking in. 

Regardless of who you voted for, or if you voted, you’re probably wondering what the next four years will hold. Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing if President-elect Trump will fulfill his campaign promises, or if he even can fulfill those promises. 

If you’re trying to cope with Post-Election Depression, remember that on November 8th, 2016 history was made in several other ways. 

Ilhan Omar became the nation’s first Somali-American legislator.

Kate Brown became America’s first openly elected LGBTQ Governor.

Tammy Duckworth, an Army war veteran, became Illinois’ first Thai American senator. 

So, if you’re thrilled or disappointed, remember that America is still a democracy. Be hopeful, be optimistic, and be kind. It might not feel like it right now but our country is stepping in the right direction.

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor