Popping the Bubble

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

You are lucky- you live in one of the most geologically diverse states. From the slick rocks of Moab to the snow-capped Wasatch Mountains, Utah has a whole lot to offer. Yet it is so easy to become familiar and to grow accustomed to the rare beauty that surrounds you and to find yourself stuck in a habitual stagnant lifestyle.

After moving to Buenos Aires, I realized just how lucky I was. Don’t get me wrong, I love the city here, but more often than not, I find my mind wandering back to the mountains of Utah, longing for the fresh air.

Now thousands of miles away from home, in a gigantic city with so much waiting to be discovered, I have realized that my customs were defining what I did, the people I met, and who I was. Before my big adventure to Argentina, I had grown complacent to the bubble of Utah, where my routine had obscured the beauty of life. Upon arriving here, I grew scared as I realized that I no longer had it to fall back on.  So, with no knowledge of anything surrounding me, I threw away all the securities of having a regulating schedule and liberated myself.

Now I have welcomed a good change in myself. A change that encourages me to find independence, seek new friendships, and explore new things daily. While my days are longer, the experiences I have in each of them fuels me to not waste a second while here. And I have realized that even trying the smallest things that are new and foreign, can make your day.

So  I propose to you, get out of your house! Go take a walk through one of the many public parks in Salt Lake City. Drive up to one of the several canyons for a day well spent in the mountains. Get coffee with a friend at a new place or spend time cooking up an exotic meal for two. Most importantly, don’t rely on other people to make your day, make it happen yourself. If there is anything I have learned since being abroad, is that with just a smile and warm heart, you will be surprised at the people you meet and the places you’ll go. 

Lexi Jones is a senior with a double major in journalism and anthropology at the University of Utah. Born and raised in Salt Lake City, she loves exploring the outdoors, rock climbing, music, and writing. She is currently a museum aid for the Bureau of Land Management. She has interned with LDS Living magazine as a writer, the Utah Museum of Natural History in the anthropology lab, and the National Society of Leadership and Success as a founding chapter president. Her inspirations are Mark Twain and Paulo Coelho. Lexi aspires to be a freelancer for National Geographic. Always pursuing multiple passions, she is currently applying to graduate school for a Masters in archaeology and a Juris doctorate, and yes, she does plan to enroll in both at the same time.