Planned Parenthood’s #Fight4BirthControl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Within the past few months, the Trump administration has taken several measures to make birth control less accessible. Planned Parenthood has recently launched the #Fight4BirthControl petition campaign against the White House to fight these actions threatening women’s sexual health.

So what’s changed?

Under the Obama administration, religious entities were exempt from covering birth control for employees, and nonprofit religious entities could opt out if they still paid for coverage through a third-party insurer. The Supreme Court later granted the same exemption to similar for-profit corporations.

The changes the Trump administration has made now allows any employer with religious or moral objections to refuse to provide birth control coverage.

What does this mean?

Taking into account that over half of American women receive health insurance through either their own or their spouse’s employer, millions of women are now at threat of having to pay out of pocket for birth control or being unable to afford it.

The #Fight4BirthControl is working to keep birth control accessible.

The campaign is aimed to raise awareness of the threat against birth control access, advocate the importance of birth control in women’s lives, and encourage employers to continue providing birth control coverage to employees when it is time to renew their insurance plans this January.

How do I get involved?

Sign the petition, donate, or share your story on social media with the tag ‘#Fight4BirthControl’ or ‘#BusinessforBC.’

To learn more about the #Fight4BirthControl campaign and how it affects you, visit the Planned Parenthood website for more information.

1, 2

Emily Choe

U Mich '21

Emily is the Social Media Director and a writer for the Her Campus U Mich chapter. She enjoys exploring the ideas around love & relationships, popular media, and all things beauty through a feminist perspective.  She/her/hers
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor