Pink is a New Drug That is Way More Deadly Than It Sounds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

A new street drug has made its way into the spotlight and it is frightening. The new drug called U-47700, more commonly known as “pinky” or “pink,” is a synthetic opioid that people sniff with their pinky, hence the name. Doctors are saying that pink is even “several times more powerful than morphine.” The drug has been around for quite some time, but officials are just now realizing the major threats that come with this particular drug and the harm that is is capable of causing.

Locally, Utah has experienced up to four deaths because of the drug, while the United States has had at least 30 cases. The worry in Utah started with the death of two 13-year-old middle schoolers from Park City in early September 2016. The two friends were found dead just 48 hours apart from each other, both passing away in their sleep. It has not yet been officially determined that pink was the main cause of death for these two kids, and they will not know for a few more weeks. However, social media has led investigators to believe that pink is the main cause of death.

A few days later, a man in Kaysville overdosed on the drug. After he went into cardiac arrest and was able to be revived, he was then transported to the hospital where he was able to recover. A fatal overdose occurred in Cedar City over seven months ago. At first, officials were confused by what drug could’ve caused this. A recent autopsy has shown that the death was caused by the pink drug as well as a number of others.

The drug is easily accessible in liquid, pill, and powder form, and available mostly from overseas companies. It is also not illegal to buy yet because it is so new. According to officials, the drug is also extremely toxic. It compares to drugs as dangerous as meth and heroin. The smallest dose can be very harmful. A user experiences symptoms of euphoria, but there are also fatal side effects, like respiratory depression. Doctors don’t know the best response to an overdose on the drug, and even if one is able to make it to the hospital after overdosing on pink, it will be a challenge to recover.

Since the deaths of the Park City students, officials have put out warnings to keep people on high alert for the drug. Although it has yet to be banned in the U.S., Sweden and Finland have already banned the drug because of the deaths across Europe. It is currently in the works to get pink illegal in the U.S., but has yet to be approved.

Until then, keep an eye out for friends, family, siblings, etc. who may come in contact with the drug. It is widely available and very easy to come in contact with. It is not unlikely to come across it on campus or at a random party. Stay safe people! Don’t do pink!

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor