Pi Phi Impacts Literacy One Phry At A Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

It’s the time of year again when Pi Beta Phi throws their annual philanthropy events to promote education and literacy! The fraternitie’s nationwide platform, “Read > Lead > Achieve” encompasses various initiatives to drive home their vision of a more literate society for the next 100 years.

Let’s just throw out what you’re probably thinking.

“That’s absurd. Everyone can read. Go home Pi Phi, you’re drunk.”

Oh Mary Mary, quite contrary. Research done by the Literacy Statistics has discovered one in four children can’t read, and if they are unable to read proficiently by the 4th grade, they are four times more likely to drop out of school. Illiterate youths are the last things we need roaming the streets when we have bigger priorities, such as the clown epidemic. Literacy is an integral part of our society, and Pi Phi’s Read > Lead > Achieve framework is rooted in one premise, that they can impact a child through reading. 

Watch this video to learn more Read > Lead > Achieve. It will probably just pull on your heart strings in all honesty. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lSblk7lmT8

*cue rapid snapping and water works*

The PI Beta Phi Utah Alpha Chapter will be hosting Arrowjam on Monday October 24th from 7:00 P.M. – 9:30 P.M and Pi Burger Phry on Wednesday, October 26th from 7:00 P.M. – 9:00 P.M. Both days are a $5 entrance fee. On Wednesday, Pi Phi will be selling their philanthropy shirts for $10 and offering house tours for $1. You may even be able to meet the house ghost, Fannie. Pi Phi can neither confirm nor deny that Fannie has taken human sacrifices.

Both events will be hosted at Le Piff – that’s the Pi Phi house – at 1443 E 100 S.

Arrowjam is basically your local Utah Coachella… more or less. For five easy payments of $1.00, you get to relax and meet new people while listening and supporting your local friends and artists. This year’s lineup includes but is not limited to (not in the following order):

• Alli Brown
  • Sam Stuck & Wilson
  • Elise Buki & Band
  • Kylie English
  • Austin Richards & Sam Bridge
  • Danielle Calacino and Brother
  • Kolossus
  • & more!

Pi Burger Phry is a new event Pi Phi is hosting this year. In a nutshell, you roll up to Le Piff, and for two easy payments of $2.50, you get a burger, slice of pie, and chips. Is the thought of all the carbs and calories holding you back? Fear no more. Just remember, it’s for the children. It is your duty as an American citizen to attend and eat twice your serving size because this is what George Washington died for. Your founding fathers would salute you if they were here today. God bless America.

All proceeds go directly to the friendship fund and the Pi Beta Phi foundation that fund Read > Lead > Achieve.

The Friendship Fund is how the organization funds its mission’s such as the Holt House Projects and the Emma Harper Turner Fund Program.

The Pi Beta Phi foundation funds initiatives for Read > Lead > Achieve such as Champions are Readers®, Arrow in the Arctic, and Fraternity Day of Service.

The ladies of Pi Beta Phi are so excited to share their philanthropy with you! Don’t forget to RSVP on Facebook! They hope to see your shining faces there.

Just an aspiring sunflower who enjoys trap music from time to time. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor