andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Perks of Having a Long Distance Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Having your best friend move away is hard. Someone who was your go to pal is now thousands of miles away. Yes, it is sad and is something that you are going to have to get used to, but there ARE good things about having a long distance best friend.

1. You have a person to vent to who is ALWAYS on your side.

When you’re fighting with your other friends or your boyfriend, who you gonna call? Your long distance best friend of course. She will be there to back you up and help you through your problems. She is completely biased and will take your side everytime. Just make sure that you return the favor when something crazy is going down across the country and she needs you.

2. The distance makes it more special when you see them.

When you haven’t seen one of your best friend ALL semester and winter break roles around it really is the most wonderful time of the year.

3. Someone cares about the happenings of your everyday life.

Need to send someone ridiculous snap chats of what’s happening throughout your day? You’re long distance best friend is the perfect person for the job. There is a 100% chance she misses you and wants to know what is going on in your life and that you wanna know what she’s up to. You guys will definitely have an unbroken snap streak by the time she comes back.

4. You’re friendship grows stronger.

They say that “distance makes the heart grow fonder”, and this is true in friendships. Keeping in contact with a long distance friends can be challenging, but if you stick it out you’ll be together again someday. You both know that in the future you’re going to live together in an apartment in the big city of your dreams and have cats that are best friends too, of course.

5. You get to go visit them!

Did someone say vacation? Start saving your pennies! The next time your school is on break, hop on the next plane to explore a new city with your BFF. Or if a couple friends want to go in a group… ROADTRIP! Either option works as long as you get to your final destination in one piece.

If you both put in the effort a long distance friendship can last. Text, snap chat, facetime, do whatever it takes to let her know you you are always there for her and she’ll do the same. And before you know it your partner in crime will be home and you can get back to your crazy friendship shenanigans.

Kim Davison is a recent graduate from the University of Utah that double majored in Theatre and Communications. She was the President of Her Campus Utah and a Chapter Advisor, a Campus Expansion Assistant and a Her Campus Ambassador Advisor for Her Campus Nationals. Kim loves theatre, event planning, dachshunds and strives to live her life every day to make Leslie Knope proud. She is currently searching to jobs in the media industry and is excited to see where life takes her!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor