An Open Letter To My Little Who Dropped Our Sorority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

If you are in a sorority, then you know the special relationship a little has with their big. If you aren’t in a sorority, then you can think of a big sister as a mentor and friend that is there to help guide you through sorority life and regular life in general – almost like a real sister would. Two of the most memorable days I have had in college are the day I received my big and the day I became a big. Both events completely changed the outcome of my college life, and I wouldn’t be in the place I am without them. That being said, the day my little told me that she was no longer going to be a part of this wonderful organization that brought us together was not only devastating, but equally as life altering. I don’t say that to be dramatic, I say it because in that moment that is exactly how I felt. When she first told me, I had a million thoughts running through my head. Did I do something wrong? I am I a bad big? Could I have done something different to make her stay? The answer to every one of these questions was absolutely not. This decision had nothing to do with me and this wasn’t some problem that I could just fix. So my advice to any big going through something similar is to remember exactly that. This is not your fault and there is probably nothing you can say or do that will change her mind. So I am writing this letter for every big who needs to say this and for little who needs to hear it. But most importantly I am writing this for my little.

Dear Little,

First and foremost I wanted to start off by saying I love you and I support you no matter what. I want you to know that I am not angry with you. I could never be mad at you, not when you are putting yourself first and making the decisions that you feel are right for you. You are one of the strongest women I have ever met and you have had an everlasting affect on me. You have made me a better person and for that I will be forever grateful. I want you to know that you have not disappointed me in any way, shape, or form – you never could. I know that you are super worried about that. I am so proud of you and how strong you have been through this whole ordeal. I want you to understand that you deciding that our sorority not being the best option for you at this time will in no way change the dynamic of our relationship. I need you to know that I will always be there for you no matter what. I will still be there for those late night study sessions, for those mandatory Starbucks runs, for those random nail appointments, and for those days when you just need a shoulder to cry on and someone to listen. I wouldn’t miss those for the world. I want you to know that I will always be your number one fan and your biggest supporter. The most important thing you need to know is that nothing will ever stop me from being your big. You are stuck with me for life.

Love,

Your Big

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor