An Open Letter to the “Little Girls” of America

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

“And to all the little girls watching right now, never doubt that you are valuable and powerful and deserving of every chance and opportunity in the world”—Hillary Clinton, 2016

You are more than what any man—leader of the free world or not—may ever deem you worthy of.

Understand that your value is not based on comments made by others. As you grow into a young woman, you will realize people will continually try to put you in boxes—fat, skinny, tall, short, smart, dumb, funny, pretty. Start loving yourself now. Recognize what you are good at—math, spelling, writing, speaking, painting, cooking. Whatever your talents may be, take pride in these things. Let yourself feel good about your strengths–not so that you can gloat or make others feel less-than, but for the sake of loving yourself and being comfortable in your own skin.

No one in this society gets to determine your value except for you.

Remember that when the bully jeers at you in the lunch line. Remember that when you don’t make the school play or the soccer team. Remember that when people on T.V. make comments about women that are sexist, or demeaning, or just plain cruel.

Start to believe now that you are going to be whatever you would like to be. A doctor. A pilot. A chef. A fashion designer. An engineer. You get to make that choice for yourself–remember that and believe in yourself.

And believing is not enough. Work hard. Be stubborn. It is okay to be stubborn! When people tell you, “No, I don’t think you can do xxxx,” walk away with your head held high and start writing the plan to prove them wrong.

And lastly, build up other girls as you go on your journey. We might wish that we could take away the cruel things people may say or the times when our hearts will be breaking. But no one can make those kinds of promises. The best we can do is stand by each other when others try to keep us down. Defend the girl who’s being laughed at in class. Support your friends at their dance performances, pieno recitals, and science fairs. Don’t listen when others speak of women in a way that is hurtful, and instead be the person to build women up by telling them that they can do whatever they set their minds to.

Little girls, you are growing up in what may be a trying time for women. But never, ever let that stop you. This is your America, too—don’t ever forget that.

With a double major in Political Science and Economics, Allyson hopes to become either a lawyer or a professor of political science after she finishes her degree at the U. Her hobbies include shopping for clothing she cannot afford and working out without breaking a sweat. She is an avid lover of podcasts, and always appreciates recommendations. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor