One Dead at University of Utah Shooting

The police are looking for the suspect following gunshots and one death at the University of Utah campus Monday night. Salt Lake City police Sgt. Brandon Shearer confirmed to the Salt Lake Tribune that one person is “deceased.” Police received reports of a man with a gunshot wound to the head.

The suspect is described as a 24-year-old white male wearing a black coat, jeans and a beanie with a cross, and tear-drop tattoo on his face. He allegedly drives a forest green pickup with Colorado license plates. As of around 11 PM, the suspect was on the second floor of the HPER building on upper campus.

One person has been brought into custody but does not match the description of the lead suspect.

Helicopters and police are searching the area where shots fired, near Red Butte Canyon and the medical complex on the east side of campus. The dorms on upper campus are on lockdown. Students were advised by text alerts to take shelter in a text that read “Shots fired. Red Butte Canyon. Shelter in Place. MORE INFORMATION TO COME” around 9 PM.

More shots were fired from the Gateway Heights dorms around 11 PM.

An anonymous source said according to police scanners, one suspect was near student housing closer to the canyon around 10 PM.

The Red Line is currently halted from continuing east of the stadium station at the west side of campus.

The motive of the shooting is unknown.

Police are broadcasting live here.

The University is continuing with updates on their Twitter @UUtah

Updated story can be found here.

Photo source 1, 2.

Don't make this ginger snap... just kidding. I'm usually pretty nice. I am a happy-go-lucky, Avril Lavigne lovin' and poodle obsessed San Diego girl. I think I'v been handling the cold weather pretty well! Communication is my degree of choice, although maybe someday I'll be a world reknown astrologer... One last thing: I'm pretty sarcastic.