Nine Awesome Imagine Dragons Songs That Aren’t “Thunder”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

While I have always enjoyed Imagine Dragons, I had mostly only listened to them on the radio, meaning I had only heard a select few of their songs (i.e. “Thunder”, “Radioactive”, “Natural”, etc.). Because these few songs are played so frequently, it’s easy to forget how many other great songs this band has written. Here are 9 underrated Imagine Dragon songs.

1. “Tiptoe”

Note: This is thankfully NOT a cover of “Tiptoe Through the Tulips” (the most disturbing song ever written). Like all Imagine Dragons songs, “Tiptoe” has a great beat and a catchy chorus. This song feels kind of inspirational and is a good song to listen to if you ever feel a bit trapped. Lyric sample: “Hey yeah, don’t let ‘em know we’re coming/ Hey yeah, tiptoe higher/ Take some time to simmer down, keep your head down low/ Hey yeah, tiptoe higher”.

2. “Cool Out”

I really enjoy this song, mostly because of the catchy tune and the lyrics which I find to be funny. Lyric sample: “Cool out, ‘cause baby I don’t think I’m the one for you”. Ouch.

3. “Stuck”

This song is a sweet and nostalgic look at a relationship that you can’t seem to get past and is a bit less intense than most Imagine Dragon songs. Lyric sample: “Time goes by and still I’m stuck on you”.

4. “Zero”

So this song was used in the soundtrack of “Ralph Breaks the Internet”, even though the lyrics seem a little extreme to have been a part of a movie for children… Lyric sample: “Let me show you what it’s like to be a zero, zero/ Let me show what it’s like to never feel, feel/ Like I’m empty and there’s nothing really real, real/ I’m looking for a way out”. Ummm… So it’s a bit intense, but it has a great beat!

5. “Love”

This song hits very close to home regarding the intense social issues facing the world, and how they would be less of a problem if we had more love and empathy for our fellow humans. Lyric sample: “We got the same blood, blood/ But will it be enough, ‘nuff?/ Will it be enough?/ We got the same heartbeat/ We’re living for the same dreams/ We got the same bloodstream/ Where did we all go wrong?”.

6. “West Coast”

“West Coast” is a love song that has a sound that is distinct from most other Imagine Dragon songs. Lyric sample: “I ain’t no Superman, I ain’t no Holy Ghost/ I’m just the one that keeps you up at night, you love the most”.

7. “Who We Are”

This song has that apocalyptic sound for which Imagine Dragons is so well known. It goes hard, and is rather therapeutic to listen to when you are feeling stressed (i.e. during finals). Lyric sample: “It’s who we are/ Doesn’t matter if we’ve gone too far/ Doesn’t matter if it’s all okay/ Doesn’t matter if it’s not our day”. Perhaps the best part of this song is the part that goes “They say we’re crazy/ They say we’re CRAZY/ THEY SAY WE’RE CRA-ZY!”.

8. “I’m So Sorry”

This is a really fun song to sing if you are in a particularly bad mood. The sarcastic sounding “I’m so sorry” is particularly therapeutic. Lyric sample: “A son of a stepfather/ A son of a/ I’m so sorry”.

9. “Not Today”

From the soundtrack of “Me Before You”, “Not Today” is very different from any other Imagine Dragons song. It has a nostalgic feeling with a melancholic undertone. Lyric sample: “We finally fall apart and we break each other’s hearts/ If we wanna live young love, we better start today”.

Imagine Dragons has a lot more variety in their songs than you would think from listening to the radio; there are so many hidden gems!

Image Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor