Net Neutrality: Why You Should Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

On December 14th, 2017, the Federal Communications Commission will vote on whether or not to kill net neutrality, a vote that could change the way we surf the web forever. Here’s why you should care:

Think back to the last time you sat down, and spent a good hour or two on your laptop or phone surfing the web. What websites did you visit? Netflix? Did you use different social media platforms? Maybe news sites like CNN? Net neutrality is the reason that you were able to visit whichever sites you chose, on the device of your choice.

Unfortunately, FCC Chairman Ajit Pai wants to put an end to free, casual surfing of the Internet. If Chairman Pai gets his way, you can expect to set up your Internet like you do your cable or television.

With net neutrality gone, your Internet would take on something more like a cable package. Your provider could charge you more for more popular sites like Netflix, while also limiting connection speeds or even blocking websites they did not want you visiting.

This direct attack on the free flow of information raises a major red flag, and with big companies like AT&T and Comcast both seemingly on Pai’s side, there really isn’t any debate on who would benefit and who would be harmed.

Imagine a world where Comcast could stop their customers from viewing any negative publicity while using their services. Or, even worse, one where AT&T finds itself in a feud with Netflix, so instead of being able to watch the latest season of Stranger Things, you instead find yourself watching the spinning wheel while it “buffers.”

The vote isn’t until December 14th, and your voice could make a difference. Let Congress know that net neutrality laws need to stay intact. Here in Salt Lake City, Utah, Mia Love and Orrin Hatch are the ones to contact. Let them know you stand with net neutrality.

Too lazy to send an email? You can text “Resist” to 504-09. “Resistbot” helps you write letters to officials over text in less than five minutes. No voice is too small when something this large is at stake, make sure yours is heard!

Photo source: 1, 2

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor