National French Toast Day (and Recipes to Celebrate)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

There are few better ways to start of your morning that with a nice, big plate of freshly made french toast drowned in maple syrup. Here to please your eyes, and spark a grumble in your bellies, I give to you 3 French Toast recipes that you, yes you, can make at home right now!

Classic French Toast:

What you’ll need:

1 loaf of French bread, 2 eggs, ½ cup milk, ¼ tsp ground cinnamon (add more if you l o v e cinnamon like me), ¼ tsp ground nutmeg, and 1 tsp vanilla.

Directions:

Heat a lightly buttered/oiled pan to medium/high.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla in a bowl.

Take an individual slice of (stale) French bread and dunk both sides of it the mixture, making sure to get a good coating all around.

Transfer that slice onto the pan and cook until golden on both sides.

Add the toppings of your choice and serve immediately.

Tips:

This works best when your pan is really hot and your bread is a little stale so it doesn’t get soggy.

If you’re looking to spice that up a little, add some fresh fruit/berries and whipped cream on top. Since it is the holiday season, you could sauté some apple slices, dust them in cinnamon sugar and then put them on top of your toast!

If you’re looking for a slightly different taste and texture- switch up the bread. I like using Challah bread because it’s so fluffy and eggy.

Alternative bread options: Banana Bread, Gingerbread, Challah bread, Croissants

Cinnamon Roll French Toast Bake:

Yeah, you heard me. Cinnamon. Roll. French. Toast.

What you’ll need:

2 cans of Pillsbury cinnamon rolls, 6 eggs, ½ cup milk, 2 tsp cinnamon, 2 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp ground nutmeg, ½ c maple syrup.

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 375 °F.

Spray the bottom of a 9×13 glass baking dish with any non-stick spray or butter.

Cut each cinnamon roll into 6-8 pieces, and place in the baking dish.

In a bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla, and pour it evenly over the cinnamon roll pieces.

Pour the ½ c of maple syrup over the mixture and place in the oven for 45 minutes.

Drizzle with icing from the cinnamon rolls and enjoy!

Recipe adapted from: StockiPillingMoms.com

Stuffed French Toast

What you’ll need:

12 slices of white bread; 3 eggs, ½ cup milk, 8 oz. cream cheese, 1 ½ c fresh sliced strawberries, granulated sugar

Directions:

Whisk together the eggs, milk, and some granulated sugar in a small bowl.

Take 6 of the bread slices and spread the cream cheese evenly on to one side and then top with strawberries.

Top with the remaining 6 bread slices and press the edges to seal them.

Take one sandwich and dunk both sides of it the mixture, making sure to get a good coating all around.

Transfer onto the pan, and cook until golden on both sides. (probably 2-3 minutes)

Top with maple syrup, strawberry syrup, and/or whipped cream and serve immediately!

Recipe adapted from: Food Network 

Call your girls for Sunday Brunch and step up your French Toast game!

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Your life is only as good as your mindset.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor