alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Some summers produce a ridiculous amount of hits – those songs that transform you back to that time, those summer nights, those summer drives. Though this summer hasn’t necessarily had a huge number of great songs, some unforgettable bops have been put out in the past couple of months, and these are my top 3 picks.  

3. “I Like It” – Cardi B, Bad Bunny, J Balvin 

While this song came out fairly early in the summer, “I Like It” was the upbeat, feel good precursor to summer 2018, setting the mood for an overtly strange, but uniquely enjoyable summer.

2. “SUMMER” – The Carters

It blew everyone’s mind when Jay Z and Beyoncé came out with a collaborative album, and it may seem obvious to put a song that has the word ‘summer’ into an article about songs of the summer, but this smooth, sultry, and fun song sticks in my head. In their usual romantic (and sexual) fashion, this song fills the air with the feeling of an ocean breeze and the soft scent of coconut oil surrounding us. 

1. “God is a woman” – Ariana Grande

Ariana knew what she was doing when she put out both “no tears left to cry” and “God is a womanin the same season. Both of these absolute hits shook the summer to its core, and it is undeniable that these songs will always bring me back to Summer 2018. Although both songs are incredible, “God is a woman” not only took summer 2018 by storm, but foreshadowed sweetener in its sexual undertones and themes of new, exciting love.

Summer 2018 was not without its flaws, but the songs that will transport us back to this summer are definitely worth a listen, and probably adding to more than a few playlists. I know when sweetener or Invasion of Privacy come on I’m going to immediately think of this wacky, tacky summer.

Image sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

Ailish Harris is a Stage Management and Performing Arts Design transfer student at the University of Utah. She's originally from Salt Lake City, UT, but was lucky enough to attend Emerson College in Boston, MA for her first 3 semesters of college. She has written for both Her Campus Emerson and Her Campus Utah, and is the current Editor in Chief for Her Campus Utah! She is a student leader in many capacities, working as the Secretary for Stage Managers at the U and as the Historian for the Department of Theatre's Student Advisory Committee. She loves Halloween, cooking, theatre, documentaries, organization, fashion, her pet hedgehog Chester, true crime, and Her Campus!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor