This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I began my college career without the slightest desire to join a sorority. Halfway through my freshman year, I saw the value in Greek Life, though, so I did end up rushing and pledging into a house, only to drop because of financial issues. I have spent the rest of my time as a student in college not in a house, but that did not stop me from befriending people involved in Greek Life. It’s finally here. An actual, unbiased experience of a GDI. It really is NOT all bad.

From the perspective of somebody who did not have the opportunity to initiate into one of these fraternities, I do respect what they stand for, and I would totally support anyone in their decision to look into joining one. The argument of “I don’t buy my friends” seriously needs to stop. You are misinformed and judgmental if that is what you think Greek Life is about. I obviously am not completely in the know of where fees go, but I know they go into formals, the houses, the upkeep of the chapter. The money is not about “buying” friends. Having a way to maintain friendships is just an added perk.

I feel that I have made a large array of friends without being able to be a part of Greek Life. I am obviously not going to have the same connection with certain people because I am not in a house without the ties of sisterhood or brotherhood and such. But when I meet an Alpha Chi or Kappa Kappa Gamma or a member of any of the other houses, they literally do not care whether or not I am involved in Greek Life. Having a similarity such as ties to Greek Life, which is a huge part of active members’ worlds, will obviously create a tie of understanding. If someone asks if you are in a house and you respond that you’re not, it isn’t a big deal and they are not looking down on you.

It is of course not all sunshine and daisies. There are people everywhere, in all walks of life, who put a label on themselves and judge you for not being in that label. I had one guy treat me like I wasn’t in his league because I wasn’t in a sorority – and, I am going to be blunt, my catch of a self was way out of his balding, not funny and unkind league. Just saying. I have had “Frat Stars” look me up and down and then simply walk away without saying anything after I made an attempt to be friendly. I have also felt that some girls involved in their sorority were disinterested in being my friend because they are only involved in what they view as their “clique” or “squad.”

Overall, though, I have gone to parties on Greek Row and after that initial “What house are you in?” question has been asked and answered, the conversation moves on and sometimes that friendship even continues. If the conversation leads back to Greek Life and a follow up of “You should join ______ because I would love to be your sister/brother!” is exclaimed then take it as a compliment! You are not better or “cooler” or whatever because you were asked to look into joining a house. You literally just made an impact on a person who would love to have that deep bond of Greek blood with you.

Go Greek or don’t go Greek. Either way, get along.

Don't make this ginger snap... just kidding. I'm usually pretty nice. I am a happy-go-lucky, Avril Lavigne lovin' and poodle obsessed San Diego girl. I think I'v been handling the cold weather pretty well! Communication is my degree of choice, although maybe someday I'll be a world reknown astrologer... One last thing: I'm pretty sarcastic. 
Julianne serves in the role of Community Development Associate, directly working with chapters and expansion. She graduated from the University of Utah in 2018 with a triple major in Political Science, Film & Media Art, and Communications with minors in Health and Theater. Julianne served as a Campus Correspondent for Utah for 3 years, as a Chapter Advisor for 2 years, a Campus Expansion Assistant for 2 years, and as a High School Ambassador Advisor. New to Boston, Julianne can't wait to eat as much seafood as was deprived of her after living in the mountains for most of her life. In her spare time, she loves to ski, watch an unreasonable amount of movies, and write!