My Love Hate Relationship with Out-Of-State Colleges

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Going out-of-state for college can be very strange. You are surrounded by all new people, places, and things, and it definitely has its ups and downs that you should be aware of before you make any decisions.

Cons:

Tuition cost – 

Tuition cost is the biggest and most obvious problem that students face when attending an out-of-state college. The difference in tuition between residents and non-residents is roughly $9000 each semester, and this cost difference can lead to a lot of problems for many students financially. It can also be hard for students who are attending an out-of-state college to get financial aid or scholarships, and with this large difference in tuition costs, many out-of-state students end up in a substantial amount of debt. If you are planning on attending an out-of-state college, apply for residency and scholarships early, and make sure you are choosing a school that is worth the cost, like the University of Utah.

Homesickness – 

Homesickness is a problem for most college students, but it is especially hard for out-of-state students. Being far away from family can be really rough and being out of state can make this time really hard. Out-of-state students don’t get to visit family and friends as much as in-state students do, and talking on the phone and seeing each other during break just isn’t enough sometimes. Just know that homesickness only lasts for a short while, and you will get to see your family and friends soon enough. 

Different Climate –  

Living in a new climate can be really strange, especially if you have allergies. Also, experiencing the different seasons and weather can be really difficult. For example, people from the desert may have a tough time in the snow and vice versa. However, the first year might be rough, but you will eventually get used to the strange weather. Even I, the girl from the California desert, got used to the mosquitos and climate at the U.

Start off college not knowing anybody – 

This can be one of the biggest problems for people starting school at an out-of-state college. Not knowing anybody can make it hard to branch out, can increase homesickness, and can make adapting to college life pretty rough. Most out-of-state students spend a lot of their time alone for the first month or so. Not having any friends can make the first month of college more difficult than it needs to be, so branch out early, don’t be afraid to go to events alone, and know that most of the new kids are just as lost and alone as you. That will help you make friends and will make living so far from your friends from home much less difficult.

Pros:

Great new place – 

Being in an out of state school means you get to experience a whole new place. There are so many new things to see and experience, and there are tons of opportunities to grow as a person. Living in a foreign city allows students to branch out and learn things that they might not have been able to in their hometowns. Moving to a new city can get you out of your comfort zone, and give you tons of opportunities to explore, and if you are coming to the U, you will surely fall in love with our beautiful Salt Lake City.

Independence – 

There is no better way to gain independence than moving 5+ hours away from home. Going to an out-of-state college puts you in a setting where you are immediately required to fend for yourself. By placing yourself in an environment where you are required to be independent, you will learn numerous things with hands-on experience, and you will grow immensely as a person. All college students learn to be independent, but students who force themselves to jump out of the nest by going out of state gain a level of independence that surpasses all expectations. 

Meet people with diverse backgrounds – 

College is full of people with interesting and diverse backgrounds from your own, and odds are if you chose to go to an out of state school, you aren’t alone. You will meet people from all walks of life who have chosen to go to the same school as you for similar reasons. Also, if your school has a strong program (or a few like the U) you will even meet people from different countries. Going to an out-of-state school is an excellent way to meet all sorts of people and to learn a lot about the human race.

Fresh start – 

College is about finding yourself, and if you decide to go to an out-of-state college, you can be sure that you will meet people from all walks of life and discover a lot of new things. Going to an out of state college gives you the room away from people who know you really well, so you can feel free to try new things and discover who you really are. One of the best things about college is getting a fresh start and give yourself room to discover life and all it has to offer.

College is a time to figure out who you are and who you want to be, and going out of state for college can make this experience very interesting and gratifying. If you are trying to decide whether or not to go out of state, just know that with the right school, none of these pros or cons should matter. The right college is definitely worth any tuition cost or amount of homesicknese. And in my opinion, choosing to go out of state for college was honestly one of the best decisions I have ever made. 

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Ry Iverson is a transgender sociology alum of the University of Utah. He grew up in Apple Valley, California and moved to Utah to be closer to family. He enjoys listening to music, reading, cooking, drawing, traveling, and helping others. He enjoys writing about his favorite TV shows, cooking, LGBTQ experiences, and advice, and in his free time he can be found laying on the ground outside taking in the world. Enjoy Ry's articles and everything he has to offer!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor