This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

As we all settle into the fall season, our social media accounts are currently being bombarded by PSL (pumpkin spice latte) culture. I can’t speak for everyone, but I’m so over this trend. Pumpkin is good, but so many other fall flavors are better! Read on to learn more about my favorite underrated fall flavors!

Chai

Whether vanilla, spiced, or green, a chai is hard to beat. It promises caffeine with both a sweetness and a bite of spice. My personal favorite is a vanilla chai made with coconut milk! Oftentimes, small, local, coffee shops will have specialized chai recipes. Here in Salt Lake City, the Tea Grotto offers a delicious iced chai, but most cafes will offer some rendition of this classic beverage.

Salted Caramel

Salted caramel is a versatile sweet flavor. Pairing well with chocolate, fruit and other flavors, carmel is for sure a year-round flavor; however, the sweetness and saltiness of salted-caramel fits well with the toasty aesthetic of fall. Starbucks offers a salted caramel frappuccino that blends mocha syrup with toffee nut syrup. The sweet and salty flavors compliment each other well and will satisfy the lips of any coffee connoisseur.

Hazelnut

Hazelnut is often considered as a late-fall flavor, but to wait that long is an injustice to your taste buds! Whether you drink coffee or not, there are plenty of drinks available to you out there. A personal favorite, hazelnut hot-cocoa, can be easily made from the comfort of your own home with 2 cups of milk and a tablespoon of nutella,cocoa powder, and sugar. Most all local coffee shops will have some sort of hazelnut option on their menu and it is definitely worth a try!

Maple

Maple is good for so much more than bacon and pancakes! Maple is a sweet flavor that pairs well with milder flavors, or it can stand well alone. If you have a sweet-tooth you are looking to satisfy, maple glazed donuts can easily fulfill the craving for fall sweetness. Most grocery stores and bakeries will offer some sort of maple pastry. If you are looking for a maple-themed beverage, while harder to find, maple lattes offer warm, sweet goodness to put you in the autumn mood.

Cinnamon

Cinnamon is an essential spice in tevery bakery, but it is a worshiped flavor in fall festivities. A bite of the spice can warm your mouth, mind, and soul. Cinnamon rolls are a classic, but cannot be forgotten when discussing fall flavors. Warm cinnamon rolls are hard to bypass, and Salt Lake City has many options. My favorite is Cinnaholic, a vegan cinnamon roll shop in Trolley Square. Vegans and non-vegans alike can enjoy these tasty rolls. Cinnaholic offers classic cinnamon rolls or more risky renditions such as cookie dough, strawberry cheesecake, and many more!

Cranberry

The thing about cranberry is, you either love it or you hate it. Personally, I love it! Cranberry is so subtle of a flavor, it can be paired with sweet, salty, or savory and succeed. More than just a Thanksgiving side or a UTI remedy, cranberry is a versatile fruit. For your nights out (or in!), a bay breeze is a perfect way to ring in autumn. Cranberry and pineapple give a sweetness while the vodka gives a kick. Cranberry is an all-year-round flavor, yet the harvest season is a thriving time for fans of this berry.

Whether you are for or against the pumpkin spice latte trend, adding a little variety into your fall flavor palette can’t hurt. The suggestions above are just a few ideas on how to up your foodie game this fall. As the leaves turn, the weather chills, and the birds head south preparing for the upcoming winter, you too can embrace the season ahead!

Political Science Major Alaskan Forever Mental Health Advocate Engaged to the Best!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor