This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Netflix has been killing it with their original content these past few years, and other streaming services have started following suit. Monkey see monkey do. Other streaming services, the monkeys, are chasing after the banana, Netflix, so to speak. And we are all going bananas for it! The only downside to this is that some of our favorite beloved series are leaving the pioneer streaming service to join newer ones. That being said, this process creates more room for Netflix Originals. Netflix spends a lot of money to get licenses for shows that people want to stream. For example, Netflix has to buy licenses for Friends, The Office, Grey’s Anatomy, and many other fan-favorites. So, it only makes sense for them to create their own original content because it’s theirs. In doing so, they bring a unique assortment of bananas to the table. If you are new to the table, grab a seat because I’m going to tell you about the series you must watch. 

House of Cards

• Many people think Orange is the New Black was Netflix’s first original series, but it was in fact House of Cards. Aside from the Kevin Spacey scandal, this show is a hit. For those of you who don’t know, this series is about a Democratic man from South Carolina who is hella petty. Why is he petty, you might ask? It’s because he wasn’t appointed as Secretary of State. And what does he do about it, you might also ask? He gets revenge on the people who betrayed him. What makes this show even better is that this petty man lives in present-day Washington, D.C.

Orange is the New Black

• Ever wondered what goes on in a women’s prison? Watch this show to find out! JK, I doubt the events in this show actually occur, but it is entertaining. The character Piper Chapman is sent to prison because she carried a bag of drug money for her lesbian girlfriend. Who knew that’s all it takes to get sent to prison? Jokes aside, this series walks you through her journey in hell, I mean prison. She actually makes some great friends, and aside from almost starving because she accidentally insulted the chef, I’d say she has a pretty wholesome experience. Orange is the New Black is funny, witty, and progressive — definitely add this to your list!

The Crown

• This one is for you, royal family lovers! This series walks you through the life of the one and only Queen Elizabeth… the Second. You get to witness royal history through your own screen at home without spending any money on a plane ticket. The royal family even watches this show — another convincing reason why you should, too! This series as it all — romance, scandals, fashion, and no commercials. What’s a better way to spend your Sunday nights than sipping English tea, eating a banana, and watching your favorite royal family?

Mindhunter

• If you have a healthy (emphasis on healthy) fascination with serial killers, you are going to love this show. And if you have an unhealthy obsession, I promise you are going to love this show even more. Mindhunter is a drama that dives into the psychology of serial killers. This series is based on true events, and you get to learn about horrific crimes while also drawing connections between killers and the murders they commit. Unlike most crime television shows that are out today, this show has very little action; thus, you really get to focus on the conversations that the characters have with each other. Don’t get me wrong, action-filled crime shows like Criminal Minds are great, but this series just hits you on a deeper level. I highly recommend this show if you are interested in notorious serial killers. 

The Haunting of Hill House

• This is another great Netflix Original, and I was obsessed with it when it first came out. The story was filmed and told beautifully. This is a great show to watch if you love the feeling of suspense but hate getting scared. This series follows the lives of five siblings who moved to a haunted house that their parents were fixing up. There is an entire episode dedicated to each character, so you really get to watch their different experiences with Hill House. Another reason why I love this show is that, although they leave this house, they are led back to it. It takes the phrase “you’ll always find your way back home” to another chilling level. 

Grace and Frankie

• This is one of my favorite series of all time! Don’t let this show scare you because the main characters are old people. Not only is this show absolutely hilarious, it’s also progressive. This show is about two old men who are business partners and yes, I know that sounds boring, but get this — they are in love with each other and decide to leave their wives so they can spend the rest of their lives together. This obviously makes their spouses go bananas, and what makes matters worse is that these women absolutely hate each other! All of this goes down during the first episode, and if you are interested go log in to your Netflix account and watch this show because I am not going to spoil the rest of it for you. 

When They See Us

• I can’t even find the words to explain how amazing and moving this limited series is. Just watch it. I think this is something everyone needs to see to understand why there is such an unequal incarceration rate between African Americans and white people. The show is based on the true story of five innocent teenagers, all under the age of 17, that were sent to prison for a crime they didn’t commit. Their DNA wasn’t even at the crime scene and they still got convicted. This show will anger you; it will make you cry, but most importantly it shows a side to American history and the lives of those who have been falsely convicted that we have never seen before. 

Dear White People

• This series is set on the campus of an Ivy League school that doesn’t exist. It shows the escalation of racial tensions between African American and white students after a distasteful and offensive party is thrown by the white students. This is a great show that highlights racial identities and the struggle people of color face in America, especially on a college campus. 

Queer Eye

• This show is going to make you feel so good once you watch it. Five openly gay men travel around the country and give people makeovers. This isn’t just any makeover show, however, because each of the five men specialize in something — Antoni: food, Jonathan: hair, Tan: fashion, Bobby: home renovation, and Karamo: lifestyle. These men transform lives, and we need more people like them in this world. They are so compassionate and accepting, and they bring a lot of humor to the table. Their charming and charismatic personalities will surely have you binge-watching this show. 

Nailed It!

• Netflix even has something for those of you who love cooking competitions, but here’s the twist — most of the bakers on this show don’t nail their challenge. If you feel bad about your baking skills, just watch this. It’s funny, light, and an all-around great show to watch when you’re in need of a laugh. 

The Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj

• This gorgeous brown man walks you through cultural and political problems that are extremely relevant in today’s society, but he does it with humor and sincerity. If you are someone who finds the news boring, this series might be the right fit for you. Hasan talks about the brand Supreme, China, Trump, and literally anything and everything that has some sort of controversy surrounding it. Another thing that I like about this show is that Hasan doesn’t sit behind a boring desk. He stands in front of the audience almost like a comedian would and gives the funniest TED Talks you’ll ever hear. I really like this show and think everyone should at least watch one episode from this series. 

Stranger Things

• How can I write an article about the best Netflix Original series without mentioning this gem? This is Netflix’s baby and arguably the most successful series they have streaming on their website. Everyone is always anticipating when the next season is going to be released, and I don’t blame them — this show is the best banana some people have ever tasted. Set in the 1980s, this series follows a young boy who has gone missing. On the same day that he goes missing, a strange girl comes to town. This is all I am going to tell you about this series because I have my fingers crossed that you are playing the first episode.

I hope you enjoy these Netflix Original series while eating a bunch of bananas!

​​

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Farah majoring in sociology and minoring in political science. She is the Director of Recruitment and Director of Social Media of Her Campus Utah for the 2020-2021 school year. She loves painting with coffee and drinking lemonade.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor