This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Meet Ian Hiscock – or in other words AtrophiA-! He is a supersonic rising EDM artist from Kanab, Utah – a small town in Southern Utah – who is currently residing in Salt Lake City and he is on his way making his big break to the big-time DJs. He has performed various shows, whether it was a small house party or an enormous V2 sponsored show, Ian is just killing it behind that stage! I had an amazing opportunity to sit down with AtrophiA- just before his set this past Nova Lotus Friday to talk about his past bookings and how he all became to be. 

Music Upringing 

Her Campus: What made you want to go into EDM/Trance as a musician? 

Ian Hiscock: It all started when I went to my first V2 show, ’Get Naughty’ at the Saltair in December of 2010. I have been a musician my whole life but that show is what made me like EDM and Trance specifically.

HC: How old were you when you started making your own sets?

IH: I started composing music when I was twelve-years-old, and then I started DJing when I was sixteen, and then when I was nineteen I started getting gigs. 

HC: When did you land your first gig in Salt Lake City?

IH: I was eighteen-years-old, but my first gig was at a house party and then I had some beginner-type gigs at small venues where only five people showed up. However, my first big gig was opening for Dirty South up at Park City Live back in 2013. I used to work up there – I played there all the time. 

Various SLC Shows

Her Campus: What was your first V2 show that you have performed at?

Ian Hiscock: My first V2 show was ‘Get Lucky 2015’ with Dada Life, Borgeous, and Henry Fong, and then after that show I started working for V2. I also played at ‘Das Energi 2015’, along with this year’s ‘Get Freaky’, and now I play at V2 shows all the time.

HC: Could you give the readers your rundown of this year’s ‘Get Freaky’ show?

IH: This year’s ‘Get Freaky’ was the best show I have ever played in my life because my set was from midnight to 1am, which was the peak hour. I was outside on the patio and there were around a thousand people out there. The energy out there was really killer.

HC: What has been your favorite Sky SLC show you have ever performed at?

IH: I enjoy playing Nova Lotus Fridays because I am in charge of what I play – I am able to create a direction with it. I have also loved opening for artists on other nights – my favorite artist I have opened at Sky SLC was Borgeous in August of 2015.

Looking Into the Future…

Her Campus: Which artist do you look up to the most and who is your dream artist to open up for?

Ian Hiscock: I have already opened up for my dream artist, Seven Lions; he is my number one inspiration. I opened up for him at Park City Live in June of 2014, and afterwards he told me how great my set was and we have stayed in touch since then. Just this last weekend at Get Freaky, I got to interview and just hang out with him. I love his music and I love him as a person.

HC: Where do you see yourself heading as a DJ when it comes to your potential goals?

IH: My goal has always been wanting to produce my own music than just DJing shows, so most of my effort has always been performing at various performances but I have always been wanting to go towards music production, and I also have my label for Nova Lotus, which is hosting the show and the artists that I manage.

HC: Any upcoming shows to announce to the readers?

IH: I do not have the exact dates of these shows, but I have a few coming up. I know for sure I will be performing another Therapy Thursday show in January, along with another Nova Lotus Friday. I also have a couple of out-of-state gigs lined up that I am hoping through these next couple of months. 

Check out AtrophiA-‘s music right here! https://soundcloud.com/atrophia1

You can also check him out on the gram and bird!  Instagram: @atrophia1 Twitter: @atrophia1

Grew up in the ocean of LA and in the mountains of Park City. I have the biggest passion for writing music... and also skiing. I was on the Dr. Phil show. Not for my problems, just for reacting to someone's discipline problems. I'm obsessed with shopping, Starbucks, Rap, EDM, and binge watching of Criminal Minds.  Follow me on the gram: @sophia_hella
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor