This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

As fast fashion brands have come under scrutiny for their unethical pay wages and contribution to an overwhelming amount of CO2 emissions, fashion lovers have been finding more sustainable ways to revamp their closets without breaking the bank. Although most of us would love to shop from sustainable brands, it isn’t the most affordable option. TikTokers have taken it upon themselves to take the fashion world by storm during these uncertain times. They have shared some cute DIY hacks that even those lacking craft intelligence or experience can feel confident doing.

Tie-Dye

This colorful trend defined the 1960s and has made a strong comeback this year. Once again we have found ourselves surrounded by colorful garments dyed and bleached to create a beautiful pattern. Luxury brands send models strutting down their runways wearing something that can easily be made during a backyard activity and TikTokers have created tutorials to show you how you can elevate your old clothes with this simple trend. 

**Disclaimer: Cotton fabric reacts better with dye and bleach than polyester.

Buttons

I’m sure most of us have some random buttons sitting in a drawer here or there and now is the time to finally put them to use! Adding buttons to a top adds some really nice dimension and uniqueness to the garment. If you lack the talent of sewing, I’m going to let you in on a little secret I like to call fabric glue! 

Crop

When in doubt, just crop it! Crop tops have been a fashion staple this past decade and you can easily crop your own shirts at home! I personally like cropping my own shirts because I’m able to crop them to a length that makes me feel comfortable and that compliments my short torso. You can easily revamp an old t-shirt by literally cutting off the ketchup stains.

Fabric Paint

Fabric paint on the back of a denim jacket can become the statement piece your closet is lacking. If you love to paint and love unique clothes, this is an excellent way you can spruce up your beloved denim jacket that you just can’t seem to part ways with. The great thing about paint is that if you mess up, you can paint over it!

You don’t have to sell an arm and a leg to help save the environment – start small and do what you can. This could mean using a reusable water bottle, getting a reusable mask, cutting out plastic silverware, or DIYing some of your fave fashion trends. ((: 

Farah majoring in sociology and minoring in political science. She is the Director of Recruitment and Director of Social Media of Her Campus Utah for the 2020-2021 school year. She loves painting with coffee and drinking lemonade.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor