Style

The Most Diverse Shows from the 2019 New York Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

2019 has been a year of change for fashion; there were a total of 102 scheduled fashion shows that took part in New York Fashion Week (NYFW), and about half of them put effort into creating a more diverse representation for their brand and their models. Beginning September 4, New York had an overflow of artists. From models to designers, photographers, seamstresses, reporters, and so many more, there was no shortage of creative minds. Being the best in their fields, these people went to New York for a week-long event, sometimes to be a part of only seven-minute shows. There were a range of ages, skin colors, races, ethnicities, sizes, and gender identities present. 

There were shows such as the Tommy x Zendaya, which broadcasted to the world a show filled with women of all ages, backgrounds, and skin colors. Not just that, but the show took place in an incredible venue with black musicians playing in the background. 

Along with the movement to create a safer and more diverse space came designers such as Pyer Moss, whose show was walked by only black models, elevating African American culture and paving the way for more designers.

Meanwhile, Chromat’s fashion show broke the definition of what it means to be sample size in the world today, with models such as Tess Holliday fit perfectly in an outfit that was covered with the statement “SAMPLE SIZE” from head to toe. Chromat made a poweful statement proving that sample size is not just a size 0.

Groundbreaking history was made during NYFW when Yeezy, a very popular and well known brand, presented the world’s first hijab wearing supermodel, Halima Aden. 

But let’s not forget about the founder and creator of FENTY, Rihanna. She dominated NYFW with her incredibly diverse, unique, and groundbreaking fashion show. Rihanna stepped up when it came to body inclusivity, race, gender identity, and skin color for FENTY’s 2019 show. Her show is something out of another world, pushing the Victoria’s Secret fashion show (which will happen later this year) out of the way. 

But wait a minute, because Serena Williams (23 times winner of the Grand Slam singles in tennis, ranked No. 1 in singles in the world for eight years by the Women’s Tennis Association) debuted her new clothing line: S by Serena Williams. Her show had amazing clothes on some amazing women. She has broken boundaries in the tennis world and now continues to push for change in the fashion world. 

This is only the beginning to an evolution of what it means to be beautiful, phenomenal, and amazing. 

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Freshman at the University of Utah.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor