Moroccan Wanderings: A Traveler’s Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Moroccan Thoughts

As I wandered under the desert skies of northern Africa, I had to take the time to soak all of the wonders of my time here in. While I was not able to do all that I wished, the future is full of endless possibilities; following the endless stretch of desert sand. Above I have a video compiled of my time spent under the Moroccan sun. Below I have compiled must see places that I have visited, things that you should do that I have not, and things to avoid to make your trip to the nomadic land of Morocco one to remember.

Must Do’s

Hassan ll Mosque – Casablanca

While I would not recommend going to Casablanca as a whole, I do implore you to go and visit the Hassan ll Mosque. With the highest minaret of all, the very sight of this magnificent building will bring architects to tears.

Marrakech Souks

Deep within the capital of Morocco you will find yourself at the Jemaa El-Fnaa, or the big square. I quite enjoyed this area, from the tea shops to rug buying, there is something for everyone to enjoy. Be aware though; pickpockets are abundant, as well as scammers. Don’t take any videos unless your ready to lose some dirhams, but otherwise laugh eat and have fun, you’re in Morocco!

Camel Riding and Desert Camping

While this was quite a hectic experience for me (key tip: Don’t drive around in the dark when you do not have any real directions), It still came to be one of my favorite things that I did while in Morocco. Sitting in a true berber tent while eating authentic Moroccan Tagine, you feel at a loss for words. If you asked me a year ago if I would be there one year hence, I would have not believed you in the slightest. But as I dream under the desert sky, I felt as happy as I have ever been. Camel riding also came to quite a surprise, abite not what I expected. I’m not going to lie, they don’t smell very good but if you can get past that, it’s quite the ride!

Le Jardin Majorelle

The Majorelle was one of the highlights of the trip for me because of all of the colors and succulents you could ever want was there in front of you. Built in 1923 by Jacques Majorelle and kept alive by the efforts of  Yves Saint-Laurent and Pierre Bergé, this 10 acre garden is filled with plants from all over the world, as well as Paul Sinoir’s Cuban style villa. If you are looking for history with the chance for the perfect instagram picture, this is your place.

Places to Avoid

I say this just to the average traveler, as they might become a bit too hectic for everyone to handle. Casablanca is a city that I would probably never go back to, mainly because of the worst driving I have ever seen in my life, but also for the lack of attractions and things to do. I also advise to not drive into the Medinas in both Casablanca and Marrakech, as they often are not really built for cars and it is quite easy to be pinned and robbed. I am in no ways advising you completely stay on the beaten path, but as it is a third world country non experienced travelers should always fare on the side of caution.

Places I Still Wish to See

• Ben Youssef Madrasa

• Three Valleys in the Atlas Mountains

• Sahara Desert

• Tangir

• Chefchaouen

Final Thoughts 

I hope this article finds you well as you are planning your next trip abroad, and I further hope that my writing skills have convinced you of the wonders that Morocco has to offer.

شكرا

Shukran bezzef

Thank you very much

Hello everyone! My name is Tristyn Page and I'm a coffee lover from Idaho. I'm big into photography and videography, having interned in South Africa as one. My passion is to travel and document it all through media. I am currently a sophomore at the University of Utah and work for Fluid Peak Collective, a marketing agency as a photographer. Want to see more travel content and photography? Head over to my Instagram account!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor