Mix It Up: Wines To Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

If you find yourself standing in the crowded liquor store at 9 PM on a Saturday night with absolutely no clue what to buy, then this guide is for you. Not only will you walk in the liquor store with purpose, you’ll walk out with the perfect companion for a night in, a night out, or a night you’ll never remember.

There a multiple places to purchase wine in the Salt Lake Valley. Your cheapest option is going to be a state liquor store, but if you’re looking for a more expensive wine make a stop at the Utah State Wine Store on 300 E. If you’re a wine addict on a budget, don’t worry. You can pick up a bottle for as little as five dollars no problem. Here are four wines to try.

Moscato 

Alcohol content: 4-10% 

Think of Moscato as the wine that doesn’t taste like wine. While this wine isn’t going to get you sufficiently drunk, it is a great option if you plan on enjoying a glass and driving after. It’s arguably the sweetest wine you can purchase so pair it with equally sweet desserts. Or, skip dessert altogether and opt for another glass instead. If you want more of a kick try pink moscato, which is basically Moscato mixed with a touch of red wine. 

Brand to try: Flip Flop 

White Zinfandel 

Alcohol content: 8-15%

I like to think of White Zin as the universal wine for beginners. It’s a blush wine, so it’s a good in-between for people trying to veer away from sweet white wines and toward richer red wines. It’s fairly sweet, but also packs a bit of a punch. You’ll feel a glass of this, and you’ll be reaching for that bottle in no time. 

Brand to try: Barefoot

Pinot Grigio 

Alcohol content: 12-13%

If you want a zesty dry wine, then check out Pinot Grigio. It’s fairly acidic, but it’s a great option if you have a veggie tray and don’t want to appear basic with your trusty bottle of Moscato. 

Brand to try: Sutter Home 

Merlot 

Alcohol content: 12-15%

Merlot is a great red. It’s quite bitter, but it’s absolutely delicious if you pair it with heavier, richer foods. Red wine is actually said to lower your risk of heart disease, so if you’re a white wine obsessed human like me then this may be reason to branch out and pick up a red wine. Choose Merlot for a wine & cheese night with your significant other, or for getting tipsy with your girls on a Friday night. 

Brand to try: Fetzer

Whichever wine you end up choosing, it’s sure to be a good night.

Pop-culture nerd, feminist, gamer, student. I drink too much tea and always have my head in a book. I write the nerdy stuff for HerCampus Utah.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor