Meet the Magic Makers: An Inside Look at Crimson Nights

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

They’re hip, they’re cool, and they make the magic happen.

That’s right, collegiettes, we’re talking about the Union Programming Council. Sometimes referred to as UPC, the Union Programming Council specializes in planning and executing free events in and around the Union for students. From National Tater Tot Day to Family Fright Fest and Zombie Tag, UPC is constantly looking for new and innovative ways to engage with the University of Utah’s student body.

With the highest attendance of any UPC event, Crimson Nights is the crowning glory of the Union Programming Council. With so many successful events under UPC’s belt, it is obvious that their events’ success really hinges on the incredible team that makes the magic happen. UPC is made up of six awesome boards of Directors and Associate Directors that work together to pull off multiple events, including Crimson Nights, something many would assume to be impossible on a largely commuter campus. With a yearly budget of $57,000, Crimson Nights Board utilizes the skills and creativity of its 5-man team to pull off the insanity that comes with inviting thousands of students to party under one roof, 4 times throughout the school year.

Crimson Nights has become somewhat of a tradition for many students at the University of Utah. Students dance the night away to the blasting music, activities, and yes…FREE FOOD. Crimson Nights Director Brooke Newhall, along with her team of four Associate Directors, plan all semester, transforming the Union from a lunch and study stop to an impressive nightclub-like atmosphere. Brooke, a junior at the U and a sister of Alpha Chi Omega, has served as Director of the Union Programming Council’s Crimson Nights Board since April of 2015; her passion for what she does is truly unbelievable. I had the privilege of shadowing Brooke throughout last week’s Crimson Nights, and, even when she told me she had a stress level of 9, her smile never left her face. Brooke’s energy and enthusiasm is palpable, motivating all of the volunteers and Union employees through the six-hour event.

As you can imagine, planning any major event is a huge feat; set up for the Friday night Crimson Nights begins as early as Thursday morning! Between setting up decorations, coordinating vendors, and organizing the army of security, the Crimson Nights Board definitely has their hands full. But, according to Brooke, all of the hard work is more than worth it. Brooke “loves supporting her Utes” and sees Crimson Nights as a perfect opportunity to spread Utah pride on campus while bringing students together at the Union, a central hub of activity here at the U. It is because of this, Brooke considers her favorite Crimson Nights theme to be this past August’s tailgate theme!

While maybe not Brooke’s ultimate favorite, this past Winter Wonderland theme certainly did not disappoint. Between an epic performance by DJ Hans Harris, water pong, and mock-tail bar, students were having an absolute blast! For Brooke, the mini golf course took the cake! Brooke considers the mini golf course to be the “most unique” activity at Crimson Nights, especially because the mini golf course can be transformed to fit any theme! While obviously a very popular activity, most students probably don’t know that each hole of the mini golf course was actually designed and constructed by each individual board on the Union Programming Council. Crimson Nights is truly a team effort!

Think you can’t wait for the next Crimson Nights?! Never fear! The Union Programming Council is putting on events throughout the entire semester, so look out for ‘em! You can even follow the Union Programming Council on instagram @yourcampuslife to keep yourself in the loop!

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor