This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

About three weeks have passed since the horrific school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School cost 17 people their lives. The most recent in a long history of American shootings to happen in schools has had a ripple effect across the country. As the dust has settled, peaceful protests and school walkouts have popped up everywhere across the country to protest current gun laws and to try to force politicians to support gun reform. Most of these protests are led by high school and college aged kids who are sick of waiting around for government officials to help create safer spaces for them to learn.

Here in Utah, the same can be said for its young students. A group of students, attending various universities and high schools, and supporters have set up a March for Our Lives here in Salt Lake City. According to March for Our Lives’ mission statement, they are focusing on demanding that military grade assault-style weapons are kept out of civilians hands, are demanding background checks to be expanded including closing the gun show loophole, and above are demanding that leaders listen to the cries for change from America’s students. The March will take place on March 24, 2018 in solidarity with the students, including those who survived the Marjory Stoneman Douglas shooting, who plan to March to the nation’s capital in Washington D.C. on the same date. The Gun Violence Prevention Center of Utah and March for Our Lives SLC are working with these students, as well as the Brighton Young Democrats of Brighton High School, to make this march a reality.

Counter-protests are expected to appear on the route to the capitol, and parents are being asked to carefully consider whether or not to bring their children.

The March in Salt Lake City will start at West High School at 11 AM and participants will march to the Utah State Capitol.

Photo Source 1, 2

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor