Mallory Rogers: Fear No Fight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

(Photo Credit: Michael Scott Photography)

Her Campus Utah is honored to call Mallory Rogers, a former Her Campus Utah writer, our Campus Celebrity. She may look familiar, as she has been a Campus Celebrity before, but she just keeps reaching greater heights and continuing to impress us. We couldn’t resist featuring her one more time. Mallory has created a new blog called Fear No Fight. The blog is about her journey to recovery after being sexually abused. Her blog is super inspiring and we couldn’t be more proud. See what Mallory has to say about her new and fastly growing blog!

Name: Mallory Rogers

Graduation Year:  Graduated with a Bachelor’s in 2013 – currently waiting on acceptance to the Master’s of Social Work Program.

Major:  Psychology

Hometown:  Murray, Utah

Her Campus (HC):  Tell us about your blog, Fear No Fight.

Mallory Rogers:  I created “Fear No Fight” because I wanted a platform from which to share my story. It documents my experience as a victim of multiple sexual assaults, as well as my past and present recovery. The special feature of the blog is my PTSD service dog Thor. I will be writing about our journey together, allowing readers to experience the healing process along with me.

HC:  What inspired you to create the blog?

MR:  I want to break the silence that surrounds sexual assault. The statistics are quite incredible:  Every two minutes, an American is sexually assaulted. 60% of sexual assaults are not reported to police. 97% of rapists will never spend a day in jail. I realized that, as a former victim who refused to press charges or tell anyone about my assaults, I was buying into the silence and shame that our rape culture has created.  Writing this blog is my way of breaking that silence and releasing my shame. I have discovered the importance of reaching out for help to get my needs met. I hope that readers who have similar experiences to mine will feel supported to do the same. If we all refuse to be quiet, the status quo can be changed.

HC:  What can readers expect to see on the blog?

MR:  First and foremost readers can find the detailed story of my assaults. Told without boundaries, shared with complete honesty. You can expect to see pain and struggle as well as success. I will document the ups and downs in obtaining, training and utilizing my PTSD service dog. I have already received backlash regarding the dog, and may have to take legal measures to protect my rights. I will write about the range of emotions that come when a person faces their demons head on. I will write about people, places, and things that have inspired, supported, and healed me.

HC:  Do you update it daily?

MR:  There will be a new blog each week, sometimes two, depending on events that occur.

HC:  Your dog, Thor, is so cute! You’re making him a service dog; can you tell us about that?

MR:  Thor is an Italian Mastiff, more specifically, a Cane Corso. This breed is very rare, and new to the United States. Their lineage is unique in that they have not been overbred or genetically abused like many popular dogs. After facing extinction in the 1970’s, they were rescued by breeders who were passionate about the breed and it’s special characteristics.

Cane Corso’s are incredibly intelligent and intuitive working dogs. They were originally used as guard dogs in Ancient Rome. They imprint on their family and absolutely must be around their humans. Cane Corso’s have a unique ability to sense a possible threat. They can “sniff out” bad intentions. Thor was the perfect choice for a PTSD service dog, as he is big enough to help me feel safe, and smart enough to perform his tasks well.

He will be trained to wake me up from nightmares, turn lights off and on, jump on me during panic attacks, create a “body block” in between me and strangers in public, and sit under my desk at school or work for hours at a time.

HC:  Is it ever hard to write about your story because it brings back all the memories?

MR:  It is very difficult to tell my story. Each blog entry is painstakingly typed and retyped, erased and retyped again. I pep-talk myself before posting each one, pushing through the flood of worries about what people may think of me after reading. I have made a promise to my readers and myself to always be real; To not let fear of judgment hold me back from telling my story, because it may change someone else’s.

HC:  If there were on piece of advice you could give to girls everywhere, what would it be?

MR:  The best advice I was ever given was from a boxing coach. One day during training I was struggling particularly hard to find my aggression and utilize the techniques we had been drilling. My sparring partner was overpowering me and I started to shut down. He grabbed my shoulders, looked me in the eyes and said, “You are nobody’s punching bag.” I remember and use this advice in all situations. If someone is mistreating me, I stand up, because I am not their punching bag. If someone harasses me, I will talk back, because I am not their punching bag. It is not enough for a woman to simply be aware of mistreatment; she must refuse to accept that mistreatment. We are not punching bags.

If you or anyone you know are experiencing sexual abuse, please don’t be afraid to reach out or get help. Salt Lake City Rape Recovery Center: (801) 467-7273. 

Remember, #fearnofight !

Vermont native. Salt Lake City resident. Ellie Briggs is currently majoring in Strategic Communications with an emphasis in Public Relations at the University of Utah. She is serving as the Campus Correspondent, Co-President, and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Utah, along with Mietra Aarabi. When Ellie is not focusing on her studies, writing, or editing countless articles, you can find her brunching with her sister and laughing at her own jokes. Follow her on Instagram @elliebriggs and Twitter @ellbriggs - she promises you won't get bored!