MacKenzie Peyton: It’s On Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Have you heard about the It’s On Us campaign? Student MacKenzie Peyton helped bring it to the U of U. We at Her Campus Utah were super excited to talk to her to find out more, and how all of you can get involved.

Her Campus (HC):  What is the It’s On Us campaign about?

Makenzie Peyton (MP):  The “It’s On Us” campaign was launched from the White House in September of 2014 in order to end sexual assault on college campuses.   It’s purpose is to bring awareness to sexual assault and sexual violence on college campuses so that we can work together as a nation to end this epidemic.  Each university can use this campaign as a tool to help address sexual assault and sexual violence problems on their individual campuses.

HC:  Why is it so important for students to be taking the pledge?

MP:  I wouldn’t say that it is so important that the students are taking the pledge as it is important that our peers are becoming educated on what the pledge stands for.  Anyone can blindly sign a document to say that they “support” an issue, it’s acting upon what you sign that matters.  I strongly believe that if our campus took action and continued to learn about all aspects of sexual assault, we could help end the problem and create a campus culture in which sexual assault is not tolerated and survivors are supported. 

HC:  A lot of students have been taking the pledge and getting on board with the movement, do you think the campaign is bringing the U closer together?

MP:  I can only hope that this campaign is bringing the U closer together!  Again, that can come down to people actually acting on the pledge versus just signing it to get the t-shirt, but, in the end, if this campaign does nothing but bring awareness to the issue, it will be a huge success in my eyes.  There will always be naysayers, but the power of our community coming together is a force to be reckoned with.

HC:  Why did you decide to get involved?

MP:  I have wanted to get involved in a campaign like this for a while now, so when the opportunity presented itself, I jumped right on it.  The effects of sexual assault on our campus are absolutely detrimental to whoever is involved, either directly or indirectly.  If you really think about it, sexual assault negatively effects EVERY SINGLE PERSON on our campus.  I want to do ANYTHING I can to help end this severe problem. 

HC:  How has the campaign influenced you?

MP:  The campaign has influenced me in so many different ways. I have had the opportunity to work with fellow student leaders, staff, and administration that feel just as passionately about this issue as I do.  I have had countless eye-opening experiences.  I have continued to learn more and more about sexual assault and what I can do to end it.  Most of all, I have been inspired by those who surround me.  We have so many unrecognized incredible leaders on our campus.  Knowing that I, along with my peers, can help be a solution to this problem is the most empowering feeling in the whole world.

Julianne serves in the role of Community Development Associate, directly working with chapters and expansion. She graduated from the University of Utah in 2018 with a triple major in Political Science, Film & Media Art, and Communications with minors in Health and Theater. Julianne served as a Campus Correspondent for Utah for 3 years, as a Chapter Advisor for 2 years, a Campus Expansion Assistant for 2 years, and as a High School Ambassador Advisor. New to Boston, Julianne can't wait to eat as much seafood as was deprived of her after living in the mountains for most of her life. In her spare time, she loves to ski, watch an unreasonable amount of movies, and write!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor