Love Is The Only Right Answer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

In the midst of a period of constant hate and fighting, we often feel like we have to choose sides. One is good, the other is pure evil, and no one is able to compromise or is willing to try and understand. We are divided—constantly feeling the need to defend our ideas on social media and close our hearts to anyone who sees differently out of fear of losing credibility. We are so afraid to be wrong that we’ve forgotten the point of politics and religion—to better our society and ourselves.

Though I’m a dedicated liberal feminist, I hate the thought that someone out there hates me simply because of my political beliefs, and that there’s a whole world of incredible people I can’t connect with simply because their ballot or Sunday itinerary is different than mine. I grew up in a religious family and left that part of my life behind, however, the relationship I have with my friends and family still involved with that religion has not changed; it never could, because we both love each other first, and our affiliations and agendas second.

This is not to say that there are no wrong opinions. Rather, I’m saying the opposite. The people who are wrong are those too blind to see that we are all human beings and deserve to be treated as such. The wrong ones are the power-grabbers and the manipulators—those who would rather see an idea succeed than another human being. They are those who are too afraid of change to help someone who is hurting. Is that really the kind of world we want to live in?

Opinions and ideas are always changing and evolving, but the one thing that has always been the same is the human spirit and its ability to love and support and empathize—a characteristic that is found in republicans and democrats, Christians and Muslims, police officers and civilians, and people of all colors and cultures. No matter who you are or what you believe, let love be your first priority. In the end, it’s the only right answer.

Madison Adams is a feminist, a tea enthusiast, a friend to the animals, and a lover of words. Mostly, though, she's a young woman who's still trying to figure things out. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor