Looking for Unique Eats in SLC? We’ve Got You Covered

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Salt Lake City is a vibrant place with breathtaking landscape, diverse culture, and lots and lots of good food. However, many people don’t know where to look when they are searching for the last thing on that list. Now, though, look no further, because I have compiled a list of some of the most unique and delicious places to eat in SLC. Instead of ordering take-out tonight, you’re going to have a dining experience like you’ve never had before.

Campfire Lounge

It’s the camping experience for city dwellers! This funky restaurant and bar serves campfire classics in a cozy lounge where you can play retro pinball games and pool while waiting for your food. If you want to maximize your “camping” experience, you can dine on the patio and enjoy the warmth of the campfire while you’re eating a delicious meal. Plus, pups are welcome! You won’t want to miss the annual Pooch Pool Party that Campfire Lounge hosts to raise funds for an animal charity. Campfire lounge is open 7 days a week until 1 am and you must be 21 years or older to enter. For more information, go to their website http://www.campfirelounge.com/

Restaurant Details:

Price: $$ — A little pricey

Features: Pet-friendly, LGBTQ+ friendly, outdoor seating, pool, pinball, campfire, bar

Reservation: Not needed

The Roof Restaurant

This restaurant features breathtaking views of Temple Square and the Salt Lake Valley right outside your window as you eat a gourmet dinner buffet. Located atop the historic Joseph Smith Memorial Building, this restaurant is a fine dining experience that will leave you speechless and wanting more. The gourmet buffet-style dinner has selections ranging from chilled jumbo shrimp to tossed baby field greens to a renowned dessert bar. At The Roof Restaurant, you are guaranteed heart-stopping views and an unforgettable dinner. For more information, go to https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/feature/templesquare/dining?lang=eng

Restaurant Details: 

Price: $$$ — Expensive

Features: Family-friendly, vegetarian-friendly, banquet facilities

Reservation: Strongly recommended

Bodega + The Rest

This restaurant and bar is a unique experience because it is both a “hip tavern” and a “subterranean speakeasy.” The Bodega is the street-level tavern that serves a wide selection of cheap tacos and beer. It’s a great place to chill and unwind from the day. But when you ask to go downstairs, it’s a whole new experience. Underground you will find The Rest — a dim, low ceilinged room with a funky hunting-lodge vibe that serves as the perfect atmosphere for its creative drink list and hearty dinner menu. The dinner consists of dishes that are locally sourced and are a creative take on comfort food classics. Some of the most popular dishes include honey-glazed beer can chicken, fried brioche donuts, and smoked coffee duck jerky. For more information, visit their website at https://bodegaslc.com/.

Restaurant Details:

Price: $$ — A little pricey

Features- Bar, pinball, downstairs, woman-owned

Reservation: Strongly recommended

11 Hauz

This eatery will transport you straight to Jamaica with its authentic family recipes, colorful decorations, and reggae music playing in the background. The owners of this restaurant, the Hamil/Grant family, emigrated from Jamaica to the U.S. in the 1980s. They have a legacy of cooks in their family and are continuing to pass down the tradition of cooking to the next generation. They opened up 11 Hauz back in 2019 and have received rave reviews for their friendly service, island vibe, and tasty traditional Jamaican food. The most popular dishes include curry chicken, beef patties, jerk chicken, and oxtail stew. For more information, visit their website https://11hauz.com/#section-reservation

Restaurant Details:

Price: $$ — A little pricey

Features: Family-owned, Black-owned, vegan friendly

Reservation: Not needed

What are you waiting for?

If you didn’t believe that SLC could have such a diverse range of dining experiences before, you’ll believe it now. These restaurants are not only known for their wonderful food options but also for the atmosphere and overall experience they create for their customers. Each of these restaurants doesn’t sweat the details and pays meticulous attention to their customers’ wants and needs. However, they also stay true to their vision and make sure that they communicate it through their food, location, and features. These restaurants are for the customers that appreciate the art of the dining experience and believe that food should be savored and celebrated. So what are you waiting for? Go make that reservation!

Gabriela Merida is double majoring in Political Science and Ethnic Studies at the University of Utah. In her free time, she enjoys reading good books, thrifting, and going on outdoor adventures with friends.