Life Lessons Learned From Hilary Duff Songs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Hilary Duff was basically Madonna for young girls in the early 2000’s. As Lizzie McGuire, she taught us about life, love, and boys. She was there for us for everything from our first crush, to buying our first bra. Even after Lizzie McGuire came to an end, Hilary continued to help us through our most trivial times in our young lives with her illustrious music career. Here are some things we can learn from listening to the music of the brilliant Ms. Duff

So yesterday – Released in 2003, this song tells us that we have the power to change whatever we want, and that other people don’t define our worth. 

“You made my mind up for me when you started to ignore me. Do you see a single tear? It isn’t gonna happen here.”

Hilary tells us that soon, all of our problems will be “so yesterday,” right along with bootcut jeans and butterfly hair clips. 

Why Not – This 2003 classic was coming through every girls speakers for at least a solid month. With its catchy beat, and empowering lyrics, we learned that it’s okay to take chances, and that we may miss our moment if we let life hold us back. 

“You always dress in yellow, when you want to dress in gold. Instead of listening to your heart, you do just what you’re told.”

Live your life, believe in yourself, and chase your dreams. You could even do a crazy dance. Why not?

Fly – 2005 “Any moment, everything can change.” Life present chances and opportunities, and if we miss don’t take those chances, we may not get a second one. This song teaches girls to believe in themselves, and that they can shine bright and make their dreams come true. 

Beat of my Heart – In 2009, the wonderful Hilary Duff sang us a song about listening to your heart. 

“I’m thinking about letting it out, I wanna give in, I wanna go out. Been looking around, I’ve finally found, the rhythm of love, the feeling of sound.”

If you let yourself live, and know what you want, you can find your passion. Live your life to the beat of your heart.

From inspiring us to follow our dreams, to helping us through a quarter life crisis, Hilary Duff has been there for us, and will continue to be there for us. We need you Hilary, now and forever. 

Editor-in-Chief for the Utah chapter of Her Campus. I'm a political science major at the University of Utah, in my time I love to cook healthy and delicious meals, organize detailed parties, and pet every dog I see.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor