This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Dearest Santa Claus,

I’m sorry I haven’t written in a while. Life’s been busy and weird and honestly more complicated. It seems that life made less sense after you left it.

This year for Christmas I have a lot on my mind. There is so much I want! A car, a laptop, a working phone…these are among the #FirstWorldCollegeStudentProbs things that would make my life seem easier. But, these are things I can live without. I don’t mean to sound like a contestant on the Miss USA Pageant, but in all seriousness, my biggest Christmas wish this year is world peace.

This has been the craziest year of my life. It’s interesting how that’s what people seem to say, huh? Do you ever stop feeling that way? That each year is crazier than the last? I know you’re much older and wiser than the people of this world. Do you ever go, “Wow, what a calm year this was for me?” The thing is, this year I learned the most too. In the midst of psychotic twists and turns comes clarity unachievable with a simple life.

When I ask for world peace, I ask for people to have peace of mind in their crazy lives. We can’t control the weather. We can’t control our dogs eating our homework. We can’t control getting screwed over by a credit card company or whether our taxes go through in time in order for us to get that tuition grant. In fact, most of life is out of our control. We came into the world without choice and we live it with uncontrollable consequences to the choices we make.

This year, Santa, I’ve made a lot of bad choices. Honestly, I think I’ve made more bad choices this year than any other year prior. I don’t think I was the best version of myself and I wouldn’t be surprised if you put me on the naughty list. I’ve hurt others and I’ve hurt myself. I’ve lived with an apathy towards everything that came my way. I broke my heart and broke it again before I was able to mend it. I didn’t do charity work and ignored passersby on days where a simple smile and “hello” could have made them happy.

But Santa, through all of the chaos of this year and the chaos within myself, I’ve learned so much I never even thought someone could learn. Creating a solid support system of inspiring people is the best way to live life. Through my mistakes, I created a support group that saw me through it all. A support group that carried me through my struggles. A support group that understood when I was being less than the best me I could be. I finally deeply understand how good people are at heart. Anne Frank was right. People are good at heart, and my support system deserves to feel at peace.

I hope this year you see that I’ve been humbled by my short-comings. It’s made me more compassionate. It’s made me appreciate the chaos and more fully realize the importance of peace. Where can I turn for peace? Where can the world turn for peace? I think the answer comes from within. Not to sound like a hippy, but people are happiest when they accept that they will not always be happy. Peace is not made up of constant joy. Peace is made up of love and understanding.

I am tired of seeing the world hurt, Mr. Claus. I’m tired of seeing my friends hurt. I know this is out of your control, but could you make my Christmas wish known this season? Could you tell the children of the world their significance for me? Could you put everyone on the nice list, just this year, for me?

I hope you had a nice year, Santa. I hope Rudolph is able to light your way to safety with his crimson nose. I hope you enjoy Nestles pre-made chocolate chip cookies in America. Most importantly, I hope my Christmas wish comes true. Merry Christmas, Santa.

Love,

Us.

Don't make this ginger snap... just kidding. I'm usually pretty nice. I am a happy-go-lucky, Avril Lavigne lovin' and poodle obsessed San Diego girl. I think I'v been handling the cold weather pretty well! Communication is my degree of choice, although maybe someday I'll be a world reknown astrologer... One last thing: I'm pretty sarcastic. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor