This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Hey Roomies!

I can hardly believe it’s been three years since we all met! I know it’s been a while since some of us have talked, but I just wanted to take a second to write and tell all of you how important you have been to both my freshman year as well as my college career as a whole.

I don’t think I ever told you, but I was pretty down when I first moved to Salt Lake. Senior year of high school and the summer following it were exhausting, and I was worried I would be lonely in this new place. I answered every well-intentioned “Aren’t you excited to start college in the fall?” with a tight smile and a short nod before changing the subject. I tried to spend as little time as possible thinking about college to avoid feeling nervous. You can imagine how pleasantly surprised I was when I finally met all of you.

I am so endlessly impressed and inspired by each of you. You are all such intelligent, hard-working, and caring women, and I am so proud to call you my friends. I have so many memories from that first year that I know I will treasure for the rest of my life. For example, Avery, I still laugh when I think about our first actual meeting. After so many failed attempts to get in contact with my future roommate over the summer, and continually missing each other over move-in weekend, I have a very clear mental picture of the first time I got a good look at you. Our parents excitedly exchanging greetings and small talk in The Corner Bakery, while you stood with your hands in your pockets and a careful smile on your face. Luckily, despite the fact that we are both incredibly awkward, we managed to become good friends. Though meeting the rest of you was much less dramatic, I was consistently relieved to discover how awesome each of you were.

My initial positive impression of each of you was only strengthened the longer we lived together. I am so happy we didn’t go the way of so many other apartments in our hall who started out close before falling apart due to petty disagreements; we were really successful in creating a strong bond that allowed us to be there for each other through the high moments as well as those that were heartbreaking.

One moment from Freshman year that has always stood out to me, was the time I had to go to the emergency room. That situation was my worst fear for college come to life, but the way you reacted made it so much easier to bear. It meant so much to me that Allyson and Cierra waited in the room with me. I was further touched to find Hannah and Avery sitting in the waiting room. Beyond the support you offered in the moment, I have never forgotten how you continued to treat me the same after this episode. I was so afraid if something like that happened I would be irreversibly changed in the eyes of all my friends, that you would forever after only see me as my condition. But none of that came true. I cannot even begin to express how grateful I am for your kindness and support. I know for a fact that I did not thank you enough for this support at the time, so I will take the time to do it now, a few years later.

In a society that often degrades the strength and importance of female friendship, I think the events of our Freshman year and beyond are made even more important. I am so lucky to have met you that first year; I love you all, and I am here whenever you need me!

Your friend,

Emmy