sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Lessons I Learned in 2017 From Your Fellow College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

A lot of people use the end of the year as a time to complain or laugh at how bad 2017 has been, and while I don’t disagree that it was a weird time to be alive, I found it rather enlightening. And while it seems like the world as a whole is going downhill, you have no choice but to better your individual self in the hopes that everyone else is doing the same. So with that, here are some of the most important things I learned this year. 

How To Stand On My Own Two Feet

This past year taught me a lot about not relying on other people. 9 times out of 10, people will let you down, and this year reminded me that everything from going to get coffee to having someone come visit you when you have heart surgery, is a sign of love that cannot be expected from everyone, as it takes time and great amounts of effort to be a true friend. Love yourself and have lots of respect for yourself, and that energy will attract the kind of people who will truly be there for you. But until those people come along, it’s all on you, and there is nothing wrong with being self-sufficient and independent. Those shoes, on your feet, you bought them.

How To Be A Better Friend.

All of the things that I noticed people were not doing for me, really made me think about all of the things that I am (or am not) willing to do for them. This year I focused a lot more on listening, instead of talking; understanding, instead of just hearing; and empathizing, instead of just consoling. Making myself a better friend was the easiest (and most rewarding) way to get the most out of my friendships, and be treated the way I wanted to be. 

How To Make Homemade Gnocchi

This is not as sentimental, but it is monumental. This year I explored a lot of new recipes, cultures, and tastes in a successful attempt to broaden my horizons in the kitchen. So turn some music, invite a couple friends, pour some wine, and just have fun with it!

How To Let Go When Something Doesn’t Work Out

Making homemade anything is a risk. As an über-perfectionist, when things don’t turn out exactly the way Martha f*cking Stuart makes them, I lose it. This year I learned that you can learn from every mistake, and you can always order a pizza after your recipe goes to sh!t. (Pizza parties are still a thing and they are actually very fun)

How To Appreciate People While They’re Still Around

More often than not, we don’t know what we have until it’s gone. Losing a grandparent is one of those things- especially when they live on a different continent. This year taught me that keeping in touch with family as often as possible is not a chore, but a privilege- both for you and for them. Call your parents, call your grandparents, call your aunts and uncles, and do it often.

How To Vote

The political system is a mess, but the only thing we can do about it is VOTE. This was the first year I was of age to do so, and you best believe I Googled every step of how to get it done. Whether you do it online, by mail, or in person, your vote matters. Every. Vote. Matters. That is something I learned very quickly this year, and hope to help others with  possible in the years and elections to come. 

How To Plan A Wedding

Am I about to get married? Nope. But did I attend the absolute worst wedding of all time this summer? Sure did. From this ~experience~ I learned everything that I do NOT want to do at my wedding. I was also introduced to Pinterest just this year (shocking, I know) and have become a certified wedding planner of sorts. 

How To Not Get Involved

A friend of mine was about to get engaged, or so she & I thought, so my S.O. and I took it upon ourselves to talk to her boyfriend and give him a couple proposal ideas to really surprise her. Turns out, he had no idea they were about to get engaged (typical boy), and it sparked quite the lover’s spat. They’re on the same page now, and I have learned to just not meddle in other peoples’ love lives.

How Important It Is To Be Involved

If you’re anything like the hundreds of college students that are about to graduate with no internships or real life experience of any kind- get involved on campus! Over the past semester alone, I took on 5 new leadership positionsand found myself with a solid background for job applications in my given field of study. Once you take the leap, it all starts falling into place. Plus I’ve made some really good friends along the way, and even met my future Maid of Honor for my Pinterest wedding.

How To Love Me More

This year I found myself focusing more on me and learning new things every day. I have grown as a woman, and developed a sense of self that I was not in touch with before. I did not set out the year with this intention, but I am damn proud of how far I’ve gotten in these 12 months, and it’s just the beginning. There is never a bad time to start changing or growing or exploring. Every day is a fresh start.

How To Contour My Face…Kind of

Last, but not least, contouring. I had never really been into make up or fashion before 2017. Maybe it’s because Rihanna didn’t have a make up line until now, but who knows. This year I took it into my own hands to watch every make up tutorial there is, and (try to) master the art of contouring. It’s a work in progress. 

Change isn’t going to happen unless YOU make it happen! Go make 2018 your best year yet. 

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Your life is only as good as your mindset.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor