The Korean Women’s Curling Team is My Everything

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Sunday was the close of the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, Korea. The Olympic flag was exchanged, and given to China, as they will be holding the next winter games. I know that I am not the only one basking in the glory of the competition, gorgeous athletes, and love shown between countries. And not to burst anyone’s bubble, but it is going to be two more years until the summer games in Japan, and then four years until the winter games.

However, I wanted to talk about my favorite team in all of the Olympics this year, the women’s curling team for Korea not only because they are the cutest bunch of friends, but are amazing women to look up to.

The team left to right- Kim Cho-hi “Chocho”, Kim Young-mi “Pancake”, Kim Sun-young “Sunny”, Kim Kyung-ae “Steak”, Kim Eun-Jung “Annie”.

-To introduce team “Kim”, they decided to use funny English nicknames. There is both Kim Eun-jung and Kim Young-mi, the team’s skip and lead, known by the nicknames “Annie” because of the brand of yogurt, and “Pancake” because its her favorite breakfast food. These girls started curling as an activity in high school around 2006. Then Pancake’s younger sister, Kim Kyung-ae or nicknamed as “Steak,” joined after following her big sister to practice. Steak later brought along her friend Kim Sun-young, nicknamed “Sunny,” as in sunny side up eggs. They later added team member Kim Cho-hi (“Chocho”), to round out the roster.

They are also known as Team Kim because their last names are all Kim. Also, they are known as the Garlic Girls by local press because their hometown of Uiseong is known for their garlic.

Annie has the cutest yell and this stare that melts your soul. I’m still not sure if I’m melting from fear or pure cuteness.

The original four girls are, again, all friends from high school in a small town in Korea, and all of them are absolutely gorgeous!

If you are still not convinced these girls just started their own club! Since their start in 2006, they have had a hard time getting to the games. Team Kim was just short of qualifying for the Olympics in Sochi, but they worked hard to be able to be in the 2018 Olympics for their home country. These amazing women went from not qualifying for sochi to earning a silver metal: only one of the reasons they are truly amazing. 

You go girls! I can not wait to cheer you on in the next winter Olympics!

Photo Credit: cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Amberly is the ultimate hater of small talk and would rather know what makes you, you. She is a avid fan of Korean pop music, 대한민국 화이팅!! In conjunction, she is in love with the beauty and extravagance of Asia and hopes to move back to South Korea to teach English. On her off days she dreams of finding the solution to international peace and becoming a diplomat. However, for now she stays home taking care of her grumpy lizard named potato. If you have any suggestions you’ll find her at @maidenadventure on any social media platform because she believes that first adventures are always the beginning of the best stories.  
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor