Kappa Kappa Gamma is All About Supporting Good Causes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

We all know that one of the main things sororities advertise is that they are service and philanthropy orientated, but what does that really mean?  Are they really doing all the things that they say they are during recruitment?  Her Campus went to the Delta Eta Chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma to find out more about their philanthropy and what service means to them. 

Kappa Kappa Gamma at the University of Utah supports three main philanthropies. The first one is a local organization, The Christmas Box House.  The Christmas Box House works to prevent child abuse and improve the quality of life of for children, teens and young adults who have been affected by abuse or homelessness.  

The next two philanthropies that they support are national philanthropies that all Kappa Kappa Gamma chapters support which is Reading is Fundamental and the Kappa Kappa Gamma Foundation.  Reading is Fundamental strives to achieve 100% literacy in the United States and the Kappa Kappa Gamma foundation provides scholarship and support for us as Kappa’s; now and in the future. 

In order to support all of these wonderful causes, the Delta Eta Chapter puts on philanthropy events.  Bailey Bowman, their Philanthropy Chair, organizes multiple fundraisers every semester.  Their next event, Kappa Klassic, is on September 24th!  This is their biggest event of the year and is super fun so make sure to come out and support!  What better thing to do than spend your Saturday golfing for a good cause?

In addition to this event, they also have Kappa Gobble coming up in November and then Kappa Kupcake in the spring semester, in which they invite members of the U of U and Greek community into their home for some yummy treats and to learn more about their philanthropies.  These are super fun events that can make your boring Monday night a little bit better.  The picture below is from last year but be sure to keep up with our calendar for the dates this year! 

The Delta Eta Chapter does more than just fundraisers, though. They also require their members to do at least five hours of service every semester.  Kappas have volunteered at the Humane Society, local schools, Best Buddies, St. Marks Hospital, Best Friends, Primary Children’s, State Convention, The Sharing Place, Utah Food Bank, American Diabetes Association, The Neighborhood House, Big Brother/Big Sisters, American Cancer Society, ASUU, Humanitarian Trips all over the world, Bennion Center, the VA, and The Road Home, just to name a few. 

The final thing that Bailey wanted to stress to me about Kappa Kappa Gamma and their commitment to philanthropy is that they not only do it because they have to, but because it is important to them personally and they want to! They are committed 110% to be positive people in their communities.  

Good luck and congratulations to Kappa Kappa Gamma and their Philanthropy Chair, Bailey Bowman! It sounds like you are doing amazing work and we can’t wait to watch Kappa Klassic be a huge success! 

Hi! I'm Madison Keyser and am a student at the University of Utah.  I am a sophomore double majoring in Economics and Spanish hoping to go to Law School someday.  I am an Alpha Chi Omega, love to play lacrosse and do anything outside.  I am so excited to be a Her Campus writer! 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor