Journaling Will Add to Your College Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I know when faced with all the stress and busyness of college, taking time to write in a journal can seem like a waste of time. I mean, you have tests to study for and papers to write, and in between these things, you have Netflix to watch and your social calendar to juggle. But, speaking from personal experience, I can tell you that journaling can actually be both a fun and productive use of your time.

I began journaling at the end of spring semester last year, after chatting with one of my good friends who has kept a journal throughout her entire life, and I love the results! Here are 10 of reasons should start your own journal to document your college experience!

1. It is actually awesome to write something that is not for public consumption

… No double spaced 12 point Times New Roman Here!

2. It can be therapeutic to write down things that are REALLY not for public consumption

Release those choice comments you can’t say to your professor’s face!

3. It’s also refreshing to physically write on actual paper without the worry of the professor changing the slides before you’ve finished writing

I didn’t know my handwriting could be this neat!

4. It’s low commitment

Seriously, it’s your journal write however often you want

5. If you have a bad memory, you can relive the highlights (and lowlights) of your life

Did that really happen? Is this actually my life? What!?

6. You can find super cute journals in bookstores if you want to be fancy

So pretty!

7. Writing stuff down can help you gain perspective…

Perhaps that was not the best decision…

8. Taking a break from staring at a screen is actually a relief

My eyes… They can focus!

9. You can feel productive without the guilt of watching Netflix

Writing is sort of like school work…

10. You are actually hilarious, and your old entries will make you laugh

Why does nobody appreciate my sense of humor?

Get journaling!

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor