This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

As summer approaches so does the frantic job and internship search, which means: interview season. No matter what the position or company, the interview process is vital in landing a good job or opportunity. First, it begins with your resume. Commonly, your resume is the first impression so it’s important to keep it clean and updated. For resume tips, check out the U of U career center.

Interviews can be extremely nerve racking and intimidating, so some extra tips and tricks are always helpful. We all have had trouble answering a question or simply just freezing up when we don’t know what to say. For me, the interview process is definitely my weakness. I get so nervous, and although I feel qualified, it’s hard for me to show that because of anxiety. There’s some of us that suffer from test anxiety, and interview anxiety is so real too. Preparation is key, and the more practice the better you get each time. Here are some tips and tricks for a more smooth and successful interview process.

1) Do your research.

99% of the time, the interviewer will ask what you know about the company, culture, product, success, etc. It’s vital that you know what the company does and stands for if you want to get hired. This will show that you are passionate and determined to get the job. Glassdoor is an extremely useful resource and website to utilize and take advantage of. It provides common interview questions from that company from past interviewees as well as information regarding the company. As always, simply get on the company’s website for their information and data.

Don’t only research the company, but research the job position and role. If you have no clue what your possible responsibilities are, then chances are you won’t be hired.

2) Study Yourself

Most of us don’t like talking about ourselves, our accomplishments and what we are good at. Unfortunately, that is what an interview is all about. It is easy to brush aside certain skills and capabilities we have, so make sure to study your resume, your experience and YOU! Have skill sets ready, as it is your time to show off how great you really are. Understanding your strengths and achievements will build confidence which is what employers are looking for.

3) Practice a Mock Interview

Whether it’s in the shower, in front of the mirror or while you’re on your morning run, make sure to practice OUT LOUD. Don’t just make up answers in your head to prepare what to say. Answer questions out loud and practice how to articulate yourself and skills in the most efficient and clear way possible. There are also resources at the U of U Career center who are there to help prepare and practice for interviews. It is much better to be prepared with at least something to say rather than searching your brain for an answer. You know what they always say, practice makes perfect!

4) Not only be on time but early

Not only does arriving early show that you are responsible and serious, but it also gives you time to prepare and not stress about finding a close parking spot. Sometimes buildings are hard to navigate, so it is very beneficial to give yourself time to get your bearings and get situated. Small actions like this speak louder than words and will send a very powerful message to the employer and company.

5) Be Yourself!

Commonly, we try and be someone who we aren’t because we believe we are under qualified and simply not good enough for the job. If the interviewer doesn’t like your personality, then their loss. You should work for a company who appreciates YOU and believes your complete self will benefit the company. Besides, wouldn’t it be awful to fake your way through an interview, land the job then hate it or get fired because it wasn’t your true self?? Well, it happens it all the time, so let’s not make that mistake, especially as we are finding jobs and future careers right out of college.

We all are different, and that is what makes the world such a great place. Show off the things that make yourself YOU instead of trying to be something you aren’t. Be friendly, open and expressive to who you are. Interviewers are much more likely to choose someone who is memorable and quirky rather than the cookie cutter, boring answer. As millennials and the upcoming generation to dominate the workforce, we provide fresh and unique ideas and skills, so flaunt them!

Logan is currently a senior at the University of Utah studying Strategic Communication with a minor in Health and Music. She has a strong passion for health and fitness, traveling, fashion, Dachshaunds and anything chocolate. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor