This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Life is busy, and getting increasingly stressful; often times we are so caught up in our own little bubble that we forget to tell those around us how grateful we are for them, and all that they do for us. Whether those individuals are family members, friends, significant others, coworkers, teachers, mentors, etc., they deserve to have and hear our thanks all year round, not just when a holiday rolls around the corner.

Don’t get me wrong, stuffing my face in my grandmothers cooking is something that I look forward to the entire year. Coming from a very large extended family, it’s one of the only times throughout the year that we are all in the same place at the same time. 

However, shouldn’t we be telling those around us how much we are grateful to them all the time? We shouldn’t always need a holiday to tell us how to feel or act, although I do enjoy it and the attitude that often comes with. Don’t keep quiet about how grateful you are for the people in your life. Telling others how we feel about them is one of the most powerful things we can do in life. The majority of us probably don’t thank people as often as we should. Knowing this, make a conscious effort to not just say your thanks, but show it too. We each show our thanks in different ways, and it is part of what makes us unique. Life is too short to not tell others what they mean to us. I cannot even begin to think of how many people have had a positive influence on my life, which is forever changed my journey.

This is my goal that I leave for all of you. Make that conscious effort to let those around you know that you are grateful for them, what they do for you, and what they do for others. All it takes is a “thank you” with a smile to make someone’s day. Don’t fall back on the fact that we have a holiday dedicated to giving thanks. Get out there and be active about who and what you are grateful for.

In whatever ways you celebrate Thanksgiving, I wish you a wonderful day with those you care about. Know that the people around you are grateful for you, and that you are making a difference in the lives of others.

Living life to the fullest with a spirit animal that is the combination of Hermione Granger and Leslie Knope. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor