This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Martin Scorsese’s long awaited crime epic finally landed on Netflix on November 27, just in time to binge over the Thanksgiving holiday. The film opens with a classic Scorsese shot: a long tracking shot leading viewers through a maze of hallways eventually revealing an old folks home. There we see the main character and protagonist of sorts, Frank “The Irishman” Sheeran, reflecting on a sad life plagued with betrayal and crime.

Sheeran, portrayed by Robert De Niro, narrates his story,  spanning several decades as he recounts becoming a hitman for the Philadelphia mob, a friend to Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa, and the man who would murder Hoffa in 1975. To this day, the murder of Jimmy Hoffa remains a mystery as his body was never found and Sheeran’s confession is not fully believed. This enigmatic, colorful, and amusing tale adapted from the book I Heard You Paint Houses by Charles Brandt chronicles the criminal and political forces that converged and ultimately resulted in Hoffa being taken out by a close confidant. 

As Scorsese’s most ambitious picture yet with a three and a half hour run time, he truly showcases his exquisite cinematic signatures and themes. At times the length can seem slightly repetitive and unnecessarily long, but Scorsese’s framing of American conspiracy and corruption move the plot along. Scorsese’s cast of frequent collaborators and their iconic performances leave viewers reeling with nostalgia from the height of his mob movies, and keep eyes glued to the screen.

“The Irishman” spans from 1949-2000 as Sheeran, a World War II veteran who drives a meat truck for a living, happens to meet Russell Bufalino (Joe Pesci), the mafia don of the Philadelphia crime syndicate controlling Pittsburgh and Detroit as well. Through Bufalino, Sheeran meets Hoffa (Al Pacino) with whom he forms a close bond with, becoming Hoffa’s family friend and confidant. The arc of the film, written for the screen by Steven Zaillian, looks at how Sheeran went from the man Hoffa trusted most to a murderer. The answer is still unclear at the films end, but the complex characters created by Scorsese make up for the lack of known and certain. 

Perhaps the most surprising character portrayal in The Irishman is that of Joe Pesci. His mild mannered, soft spoken Bufalino is a far cry from his usual roles. Pesci and De Niro — who last worked together in 1995 for Casino –– compliment each other and act like they haven’t missed a beat. De Niro’s passive, loyal character portrayal is tragic and enjoyable throughout. But, its Pacino’s performance as Hoffa that steals the show and elevates The Irishman. Pacino’s sucker-punching Scorsese picture debut is captivating, subtle, and grounded. Throughout the film, Hoffa’s relationship with Sheeran and his family — namely his daughter, Peggy (Anna Paquin) — make Sheeran’s later motive and action more unclear. 

The Irishman is reminiscent of Scorsese’s previous mob infused pictures — GoodFellasRaging Bull, and Taxi Driver, but is far more meticulously developed and less energetic. Regardless, the film is a great addition to Scorsese’s long and masterful career — it’s reflective and melancholic, touched by highs and lows that leave viewers shaken with the mysteries of life, legacy, loss and regret.

3.5/5 stars

Image Sources: 1,2,3

-Junior at the University of Utah -Communications major with an emphasis in Journalism and minor in Political Science
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor