“The Hunting Ground” on Campuses Worldwide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Terrified. Furious. Concerned.

These are all normal feelings to experience while watching “The Hunting Ground.” This expose holds more to the background than what you initially see. Whether you are a freshman or a senior, this movie will always be able to teach you something about the issues on campus.

Everyone spends the later part of their high school career excited for what is swiftly approaching because it means a fresh start with brand new people and, more importantly, no parents. This is the first time in their lives where they are on their own and have to be in charge of themselves. However, not many people know the danger that can come with the lifestyle that is college. “The Hunting Ground” is a documentary on the dangers on a college campus and how they cover up sexual assault of women and men constantly. These people that have to go through a traumatic event are found to be put through more harm afterwards when they decide to report it to the school and are just pushed aside as if nothing happened.

This documentary gives real stories from men and women that have been sexually assaulted and their struggle to report it. This is not okay when you look at the big picture. Isn’t it enough that they had to be forced against their will? But now they have to make their case to a college that asks “Are you sure your skirt wasn’t too short” Or “How many times did you say no?”

Not many people realize the underreporting problem that is occurring on college campuses. An example highlighted in this film was the Jameis Winston case through Florida State University. He sexually assaulted Erica Kinsman during her freshman year but nothing was brought up until a year thereafter. She was being criticized that because he was a Varsity Athlete, he accusations were with intent to hurt his career. During the trial in 2014 she answered all 156 painful questions asked of her by the judge while Winston was able to only answer 3. Just because someone is an athlete at a college or university does not mean they should be able to gain special treatment. These schools develop their policies to protect their athletes and other students on the dean’s list. From a personal standpoint, wouldn’t you think that as a paying student we should all be equal instead of someone getting special treatment from winning trophies.

It is up to us to change colleges and universities and the way they approach reporting sexual assault. If they know about it, they should report it and do something about it-NOT try to blame the victim like they have been doing for years! They want you to think it’s your fault when it’s not. Please get that through your head. No matter how short the skirt, how much makeup you have on, or how much you drink it does not mean you were asking for this. No means no-no exceptions.

If you see something, say something. You are not the only one this has happened to and we have to stick together to put a stop to this. If you need to get in contact with someone that can help, call the crisis hotline at 801-467-7273.

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor