This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Make way for the return of the Cher Horowitz-approved print, because fall fashion is in full swing. Oversized denim jackets, silk scarves, and the urban cowgirl are some of the biggest trends that you’ll see as fall quickly arrives. Read on for ways to wear the best runway trends from this season IRL. 

1. Silk Scarves

Silk scarves, for a long time, have been seen as one of the top ways to elevate any outfit. They’re considered an iconic accessory made enviable by the likes of Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly. The accessory, which gives off a Parisian chic vibe, has been tied around the head to frame the face and around the neck, to add an elegant feel to any outfit. 

Like most trends, it has made its way back for another claim to fame. While wearing it around the neck or using it to frame the face has always been a classic, “it girls” are also finding new ways to modernize the classic trend. If you’re wanting to try this one out but don’t want to look like you’re a Delta flight attendant, I’d recommend taking a different route. Tie it around your pony tail, on the handle of your handbag, or around your wrist. If you do want to tie it around your neck, go with something bolder. A patterned silk scarf pairs beautifully with a white t-shirt and jeans. 

2. Animal Print

From leopard to snake and even cow print, there are countless of options to explore your wild side this fall. Rocking animal prints can be difficult, because you’re having to effectively balance the line between tasteful and tacky. Keep in mind that animal prints are not just for going out! Printed tops can be dressed down with boyfriend jeans and sneakers, or with a long, pleated skirt and heels for a dressier option. 

In terms of dresses, I’d suggest sticking with something that isn’t too revealing or dressy. Look for dresses with looser fits and pair it with a belt to cinch your waist in order to get more shape out of your dress. Stay away from sleeveless dresses for a day look unless your plan is to layer it under a leather jacket or over a long-sleeve top, these types of dresses will be most appropriate for a night out. 

3. Western Boots 

From streetstyle to the runways, western cowboy boots were on every fashionista’s feet during Fashion Week. Dressing for Fashion Week and dressing for school or work are very different, unfortunately, so finding a way to wear these shoes is critical if you don’t want to feel like you’re wearing a cowgirl costume. 

If you’re looking for an everyday look, pairing boots with high-rise denim, a black turtleneck and a long, tailored jacket is a great go-to. If you’re trying for a high-fashion look, I’d recommend pairing boots with a dress. Throw on a maxi and play with trends by pairing it with a flowy animal print dress. Color block with a great denim jacket and a suede skirt. With western boots, the options are endless. They really are meant to be an everyday shoe.   4. Preppy Plaid 

Love it or hate it, plaid is back. While commonly associated with punk and grunge fashion, it’s perhaps most associated with preppy style. The print goes back a lot further than flannels and the punk rock movement of the ‘70s. Tartan, the original form of the print, is traced back to the 14thcentury Scottish highlands. Since Alexander McQueen’s fall/winter 2006 show, there was no turning back. Every fall, plaid does the heavy lifting in terms of trends. 

The great thing about the trend is that you can really style it to have various different vibes. Follow ‘90s “it girls” by taking a plaid flannel and tying it around your waist. Pair it with a leather jacket and grungy band t-shirt to give it a bit of an edge. Layer it under a sweater paired with jeans and riding boots for a Northeastern preppy look. If you’re looking for something you can wear to work or for a class presentation, try a plaid dress or blazer layered with a chunky sweater. 

5. Knee High Boots

Channel your inner Ariana Grande with some knee-high boots this fall. While most footwear trends come and go, the knee-high boot has withstood the test of time. And whether they’re leather, suede, flat-soled, block heeled, or stilettos, these boots are wearable, versatile, and easily accessible to most of us. Pair with a great leather jacket and leggings for an edgier look. Allowing a peek of skin between a boot and a short hemline, à la Ariana Grande is a great way to make an otherwise boring outfit, sexy. If you’re looking for something dressier, grab a soft cashmere sweater and a long, pleated skirt for an elegant look. If you’re going for the Parisian chic look, pull your hair back into a sleek bun or ponytail. 

The great thing about all of these trends is how affordable they can be. While we are used to seeing Instagram photos of people wearing these trends all incorporating designer labels, you don’t have to break the bank. All of these trends are available at online stores such as Nasty Gal and Princess Polly. Regardless of how you end up styling these, remember that fashion is supposed to be fun! Experiment with new styles and trends, all while remembering not to take yourself too seriously. 

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor