How to Transition Your Wardrobe for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The fall season is finally upon us and we could not be happier about it. With the weather changing, you might be wondering how to convert your closet for this upcoming Autumn. Here are some ideas to help you do just that!

1. Layer Everything

When it comes to the fall season layering is your friend and should be done often. Layering your outfits doesn’t just keep you warm it also keeps you stylish. This can be accomplished a few different ways. One of my favorite ways to layer is to put on tights or leggings under your dresses, skirts, or shorts. Another great way to layer is by putting an oversized sweater over any of your existing outfits.

2. Invest In Boots

Boots are not just a fall necessity, they are the epitome of fall fashion. You can not have fall without adding boots into your wardrobe. This means everything including ankle booties, furry boots, over the knee boots, and combat boots are going to be essential to keep in your closet this fall. It is also important to invest in at least one or two really  nice pairs of boots that are going to last you a couple of seasons. Save your steals for those trendy pieces that are going to eventually go out of style.

3. Introduce Dark Colors

Slowly incorporating darker colors is a great way to start getting into the autumn spirit. I suggest adding warm browns, oranges, maroons, and deep berries. These colors do not have to just be your clothes. You can have all kinds of fun experimenting with dark colored eyeshadows, lipsticks, and nail polishes. If you are feeling daring this fall you also try adding some of these fall colors to your hair as well.

4. Buy Long Socks

I absolutely love this trend of having your socks peek out over the top of your boots. This is such a fun way of adding your own style to an outfit without being too over the top, especially for when you are at work or school. This is a great time to mess with colors, patterns, and even textures for your fall wardrobe. This trend will also keep you warm and cozy this autumn.

5. Embrace Flannel

Since fall is quickly approaching I feel that it is very necessary to remind everyone that flannel and plaid are not the same thing. Plaid is the controversial pattern that always seems to be falling in and out of favor while flannel is the soft fabric made of either cotton or wool. Yes I know that many flannel shirts are plaid and that it can be easy to confuse them as interchangeable, but they are not. So no matter how you feel about plaid flannel shirts are great must have for everyone this  fall season.

Hopefully some of these tips have inspired you to totally elevate your fall wardrobe this year. Remember when in doubt of your fall fashion choices, a large sweater and leggings will always be in style and will never steer you wrong.

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor